Potentiometer Project

I'm working on a custom project that involves potentiometers and picture adjustments on the monitor they are connected to.

To determine whether or not the potentiometers I need exist or if I need to build them, I need to resolve two questions and the possible issues they bring up.

1) This may seem like a crazy question, but are there low-friction potentiometers? (I'm referring to the physical friction incorporated into the pot to retard motion).

The reason I ask is because I guesstimate that in an extreme case, I'd need a potentiometer's knob/slide to rotate/travel it's full length 100 times in a single day. (Though in reality there probably wouldn't be that many cycles in a month).

This brings me to the second question.

2) Can a pot with a knob/slide that travels a distance of only one inch be adequate to cover the extremes for image parameters like Brightness, Contrast, Horizontal size, Horizontal position, Vertical size, & Vertical position?

To clarify my goal. I want to be able to quickly establish and lock in all six settings via mechanical means.

Springs will keep the knobs/slides at one side of their range, and when I need the correct settings, a plunger will ensure accurate re-positioning of the knobs/slides.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Searcher7 prodded the keyboard with:

Hi Darren, What you are asking used to be commonly done on monitor and TV production lines, before the advent of digital circuits.

--
Best Regards:
             Baron.

The idea is to do this mechanicaally and stay away from digital circuits.

I designed a switcher that would allow me to switch between a dozen game PC Bs. All of which will individually use the same monitor.

But certain image parameters may vary from one game board to the next and i t would be too much of a pain to open up the cabinet and manipulate control s on the chassis every time I needed to correct the picture. I can just co nnect and make them part of the mechanical switching action, which is initi ated by a knob I push and turn.

If anyone has ideas on where to get sliding poteniometers I can use for thu is project, I'd appreciated it.

Thanks.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to
Searcher7

Searcher7 prodded the keyboard with:

Have you considered the motorised sliders as used on sound mixer decks ?

--
Best Regards:
                      Baron.

No. I have no idea what that is, but if they are motorized they wouldn't work for me.