Portable Oscilloscope

The markings on the housing of the 120 / 240 v ac Protek P-3502C don't say anything about power consumption, only to use a 1 amp fuse. The web page claims the newer models at least are low power or energy efficient so I hooked it up to an $8.00, 60 watt inverter on a 12 v 22 amp hr lead acid gel cell.

It only drew 1.5 amps from the battery but the trace looked blurry and couldn't be adjusted. I hooked up another gel cell in parallel but the current and trace didn't change a bit. I then plugged it back into 120 ac and the trace was back in focus.

Do oscilloscopes require a special sine wave inverter?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Seems the brightness needs to be turned all the way down when on the inverter.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Seems the brightness needs to be turned all the way down when on the inverter.

Bret Cahill

The output of that inverter is far from adequate for electronics equipment.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Not necessarily. I have used "power supplies from hell" when I had no choice. Older CRT oscilloscopes have a regular transformer-based power supply and they often aren't very happy with the "modified sine wave" from cheap converters. Tube voltages may be lower and you can't get proper focus, and there is always a risk something goes ... *PHUT*. But I never had it happen, just a little sub-par performance.

The same goes for fan motors. When the power fails and I use an inverter for our stove fans I have to crank the speed control much higher.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

OK so you partially disagree that the inverter is inadaquate then go on to tell me how your use was less than satifactory.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

My use of inverters with modified sine was sufficiently satisfactory. It made the equipment work, not perfectly but well enough, got the job done. What more could one want?

Being a bit facetious: If one were to arrive at a distant location for a repair only to find out that there's Philips screws but only a flat blade screwdriver in the tool box, would you recommend returning to base and saying "I couldn't do it because I had the wrong tool"?

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Point taken, but do you realize that tool would be inadequate for the job? I guess it depends on how you define adequate and under what conditions. In a general sense one could say a straight screwdriver is inadequate for Phillips screws.

Best regards, Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

But at some point you have to accept that you set out to drain the swamp.

Reply to
krw

Hard to say from a distance. If Bret was able to get his measurements done and the scope did not let off a puff of smoke my vote would go to "tool was adequate enough" :-)

I'd jam it in at an angle and try to get the screw to budge. Of course, my father (metallurgy engineer by degree) always pestered me "You electrical guys, you always have to approach every bolt with an adjustable pipe wrench, do ya?"

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

And then quit because you're incompetent. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I've seen CB antennas where the mount was a cheap knock-off Vise Grips literally welded to the antenna flange proper.

So apparently the answer would be, "yes." :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner