OT - Standby electrics - worth consideration?

I just worked out that in my (UK) house (with my children long gone!). The electric standby items are going to cost £452 UKP per year at October 2022 going forward cap levels, and of course more again at the next cap level(s) in 2023.

I have used 52 pence per kWh and 58 pence per day service charge. YMMV. Measurement was taken at the supply meter with no items full running. As a quick reference it works out that every 1 Watt on standby (October

22 to December 22) is going to cost about 5.10 UKP over a year.

Standby items Include: PIR detectors, radios, Desktop computer+perifs (but no printer), TV, TV boxes, players, washing machine, dishwasher, AirCon, timers, boiler, chargers, HiFi, etc,etc. (the laser colour printer was gobbling 20W continuous to keep itself warm on standby so I keep it fully switched off except when in use and it is excluded from the cost figure above).

My standby figure also includes some essential "always on" items but only at their standby level. Fridge, cooker, microwave, deep freeze, and Land line DECT phone base come in this category. Also my BB Router(7W) and alarm system which are full on all the time albeit at low-ish consumption levels. So I think your standby items are maybe worth a thought. A plug-in Watt meter is useful for finding out which things are hogs to run on standby! C+

Reply to
Charlie+

Every single watt you 'consume' ends up as heat after doing what you want it to. And heat is useful stuff you need most of the year. If you don't get it from your electricals, you'll need to get it from something else that costs you money. So, what you think you'll gain by turning everything off is likely to be considerably less than you calculate.

Besides, you can't escape any 'service charge', so you won't save any of that.

Reply to
Norman Wells

In article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Charlie+ snipped-for-privacy@xxx.net scribeth thus

Prolly stick a 350 or so watt rated solar panel out in the yard and a simple inverter that will now pay for itself quite quickly!...

Reply to
tony sayer

But your electrical heat costs about 4 times your gas heat, and is also unwanted in summer.

Reply to
Tweed

Summer doesn't usually last long, and gas boilers have variable efficiency down in some cases to about 60% whereas electricity conversion to heat is universally 100%.

The best way to save on your energy bills this winter is actually to go on holiday for a month somewhere warm. Turn off everything at home and it could be worth a £500 discount off the price.

Reply to
Norman Wells

Do you know of any talking ones or ones that work with a smart phone? I do have a talking smart meter display of course, but its hard to be sure everything is isolated to measure stuff, even the meter itself uses power. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I knew somebody who did that annually. He had a standing arrangement with a villa owner in the Algarve to live there from December to March. The villa owner was happy to let him and his family live there cheaply because he could show his insurance company that the villa wasn't unoccupied and able to be burgled, and that gave big discount on the premium to be paid.

Unfortunately he died 2 years ago so it no longer happens, but before that he had 6 years of very cheap winter holidays with water and gas and electricity all turned off in his own house.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

On Thu, 1 Sep 2022 13:23:09 +0100, tony sayer snipped-for-privacy@bancom.co.uk> wrote as underneath :

Not bad thinking but the inverter could not be very simple - it would need to sync perfectly to the mains already running.. shut down in a power cut, restart etc. Then there are always "the regulations" ! C+

Reply to
Charlie+

It's only complicated if you want to sell AC back to the grid. Take a look at "inverter chargers" with built-in transfer switches. Grid up charges the battery, grid down transfers local load to inverter using the battery as backup. Grid not connected then, so no need to sync and no backfeed problem.

When you do this you'll _really_ notice the standby loads on the battery.

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Over the course of a year (don't know where charlie is based, so assume midlands) a 350W panel will average under 1 kWh per day throughout the year, can offset what you'd buy at 52p, rather than expect to sell it for 5p since you'd need a certified installation for SEG tariffs.

A G98 compliant micro-inverter is the minimum you can fit, doesn't need to be a certified installation (get a sparky in, or look into it and DIY) you don't need to ask permission from the DNO to install one, just need to notify them you will/have done so.

£200 for the panel, £150 for a micro inverter, plus some cables and isolators, to save £170 off the electricity bill? You decide ...
Reply to
Andy Burns

That "just under" 1 kW over the year average is that in a 24 hour period

Or is it just the daylight hours whatever they might be?..

Reply to
tony sayer

He said kilo Watt hour per day, not kilo Watt.

A kilo Watt hour per day is on average (1 kilo Watt * (1 hour / 24 hours)), so on average 1/24th of a kilo Watt, averaged over 24*365.24... continuous hours.

Reply to
David Woolley

It was something like 340 kWh in 365 days, you'll get more of it in longer days of summer and very little of it in winter.

clearly none of it will be outside daylight hours! but the lower/weaker summer sun means even less that just the shorter day length.

e.g. in each of december and january you'd expect 12kWh per month so 0.4 kWh per day

but in may, june and july you'd get 41 kWh per month, so 1.3 kWh per day

Reply to
Andy Burns

Quite, you're never going to get a kW of power out of a 350W panel, but for about 7 months of the year, you'll get over a kWh of energy.

Reply to
Andy Burns

He did indeed David!, only excuse i can muster was a was severely distracted by a boisterous attention grabbing 3 year i was minding;!

Reply to
tony sayer