Multimeters continued

here are the specs for the one i think i need....8-function, 20-range multimeter offers true RMS readings for accurate voltage, current and temperature. CAT III-600V rating. Audible and visual warnings to help improper test lead input. this one does everything the following one does except the duty cycle.

and the one i just bought 11-function, autoranging, AC/DC Voltage/ current, resistance, capacitance/ frequency, countinuity/ Diode test

I am going into HVAC-R and I needed to pick up a meter, which one of the two would you go with?

Reply to
amdiegel

** You really do not need the " true rms" function for your work - all it will do is draw more battery currrent and make it slower for AC readings to settle.

OTOH - having auto-ranging is a wonderful time and frustration saver.

Instead of 20 plus positions on the switch - you have only maybe 5.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I'd still take the first one. Duty cycle isn't so important. In most meters that are not designed for it, it'll simply display peak DC voltage. Some DMM's may miss behave on a pulsing DC signal that are not attempting to overcome this..

In HVAC, the duty cycle option may not be that important. You did say the first one had every thing else except the duty cycle of the second?

Have you considered looking into a Fluke 187/189 or 287/289 ?

--
"I\'d rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Post details of the brands and models. Specs don't mean much, build quality means everything, particularly if you are taking it into the field for work. You will want a top quality brand.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Very true. Battery replacement gets to be slightly tiresome with these. Especially with Fluke 80 series IME.

Also true.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Graham

Reply to