Measuring variation in inductance

I was wondering what precautions I should take for measuring a coil's inductance. Following some capacitive sensing approaches my idea was to use a MCU pin for pulling a pin connected to the coil L1 HIGH and then measuring the voltage drop across a resistor R1 in series to the coil.

WRITEPIN+-----------o----UUUU---o--------o---------R1--------| GND \\----|

Reply to
grubertm

you've got the coil's parallel capacitance to consider too. and the threshold that the readpin responds at may be unpredictable,

Reply to
Jasen Betts

The easiest way is to build an oscillator.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Thanks for the link Chris !

I built my circuit as above and got some decent results using a somewhat largish inductor. Smaller ones (.03uH) were charging too quickly to measure with my microcontroller- that's where the above approach might come in handy.

Reply to
grubertm