Audio switch and 74HC4051

Hi!

I'm trying to build an audio switch with a 74HC4051 multiplexer and looking for ideas/schematics about ways to reduce disturbance (clicks etc) on the output. I have six radio channels on the input and a PIC gives signals which input to activate. I know the 4051 isn't considered very good in hi-fi sound but I want it cheap and will try to make it work with fairly good quality. The output, so far, goes to an OP buffer and the volume is controlled by a digi-pot in an inverted OP after the buffer.

I read that there are other circuits where relay are used to switch audio, are there any schematics of those online (not very expensive though)?

Also, does anyone know how the 4051 handles the audio range (20-20kHz)?

Fredrik

Reply to
Fredrik

I havent used a 405x for audio in years, but i used to use them in virtual earth mode, ie current operated, not voltage operated. the delta R is minimised, since there is very little volts across the switch. HF crosstalk could be a problem. Many glitch problems can come from bad layout ISTR distortion in the 0.03% range, quite adeqaute for many applications.

Relays, try something like the Omron G2 series, select the ones for low signal handling

martin

Reply to
martin griffith