Make + and - 12V from 24VDC?

Anyone have any simple circuits on how to make +/- 12VDC from 0-24VDC?

I would just take a center-tapped transformer, but the idea is to use a cheap off-the-shelf power brick like the ones you can grab from Goodwill (thrift store) for $1 each. No center taps there...

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Two 12 V zeners in series with a small resistor to pick up the slack.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Sure. As long as the 24V isn't rounded, use an active circuit to create 'Vcc/2' such as 2 equal value resistors and an op-amp voltage follower configuration. It will give you 0, 12V and 24V. That's essentially the same as -12, 0 , +12.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Thanks!

I'll study zener diodes more in-depth now.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

I have a feeling this is a home work question!. Ok, How about a Virtual Ground? with a bridge rectifier and filter cap before that? this will give you half of

24 volts for the +&-. You can use a couple of zeners, an op-amp of a simple 2 resistor thingy...

Or use 2 half wave output from one side of the tap into

2 different regulators 7812 and 7912 for example. ect. ect..

that should give you enough to get you in trouble.

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie