Magnet Damage to LCD

So, I know that speaker and light magnets donot damage LCD like they used to dmage CRT's. However, my daughter a mere 2.5yrs old, took a magnet and was able to make entire area on the screen go completely black. First question... anyway to repair it? second, how could this happen?

Reply to
Affan

you need to find and replace the failed part.

maybe saturatiing an inductor in the poswersupply causing some part to fail.

Jasen Betts

Is "entire area" the entire screen?

If it's just a portion of the screen, you can try this site.

Stuck pixels can sometimes be unstuck. But DEAD pixels are black, and they aren't coming back.

Reply to
Beryl

No, just a portion at the bottom of the screen...

creenfix.com/basic.php

This is a LCD TV not a computer monitor. Anyway, if black is dead, then they are certainly dead. Just lost like $400 worth of TV :(

Any idea why this would happen?

Reply to
Affan

site.http://www.jscreenfix.com/basic.php

Maybe heavy pressure bruised the screen. You may as well try gently massaging the damaged area. I have a few dead black pixels scattered around my LCD monitor, and neither the rapid color switching exercise nor massaging has fixed them.

Reply to
Beryl

l.

It'd take a strong magnet, but that's at least a possibillty.

The power to the backlights on your display comes from a small inverter module, which is probably fuse-protected. At worst, it'll be a replacement inverter (these are relatively inexpensive). That would make the screen brightness nonuniform, wouldn't exactly get 'black' anywhere. It's probably unrelated to the magnet if the black area has any other cause.

Reply to
whit3rd

A magnet of any kind will not damage the screen by magnetism. Perhaps it is physical damage to the screen.

Reply to
sparky

I saw one inverter circuit that used an inductor with a magnet glued to it, bringing a strong magnet near it could throw the system out of whack. anyway it seems now just a failure of a rectangular area. I couldn't parse the original post as anything other than a complete blackout.

Jasen Betts

Sounds very odd.

Can you take a few digi photos and upload them to a photo share web site (I like ) and post links here?

I'm curious to see it. Maybe once we see a few pictures someone will have an idea.

Dave

Reply to
DaveC