Inductor/Resistor/Capacitor Equivalency

Hello,

I'm a Chemical Engineer that took an "Electrical Engineering for Non-Electrical Engineers" class as part of my degree ~7 years ago. I was wondering if somebody can reconstruct my failing memory when I recalled my instructor saying something to the effect that "For a resistor, inductor, capacitor, one can be simulated by the other two" I don't recall in what context he was speaking - or if I'm recalling it correctly. It definetly had something to do w/ interchangeability. Can somebody direct me to a text or website concerning this matter?

Regards,

Monty,

Reply to
Monty Hall

Nope, can't simulate an inductor using a resistor and capacitor. Use a capacitor and an operational amplifier?

Perhaps he meant that you can construct a single-stage lowpass filter using either an inductor *or* a capacitor, plus a resistor. Same is true for hipass.

Reply to
William J. Beaty

Hi. In an alternating current context, a resistive value R can be obtained as capacitive reactance Xc=R or by inductive reactance XL=R. XL = 2¶fL Xc = 1÷2¶fC In resonant circuits, capacitors and inductors together (in series or parallel) can also yield a resistive value equal to R from a resistor.

Maybe that is what you mean. Miguel

Reply to
Externet

Nope! Can't be done iMHO, whichever way you look at it.

--

Fat, sugar, salt, beer: the four essentials for a healthy diet.
Reply to