Identifying The Pins

I bought a SCR from Mouser that didn't have any pin-out. Are all SCRs the same in terms of where the gate and the other pins are located or do they vary from SCR to SCR?

Ron

Reply to
Ron Hubbard

Does the part have a datasheet that would show you the pins? Also, look on the manufacturer's web site for an additional document such as packaging information. I have come across a couple of parts like this, where the pin information wasn't clear. If all else fails, call the manufacturer tech support. Also, sometimes the pin information is contained in very small print on the bottom corner of the last page or some equally apparent location.

Reply to
Noway2

No joy with a datasheet, and nothing in the packaging, but beside one pin is A4 and beside the other pin is 43-- any significance?

Ron

Reply to
Ron Hubbard

Unfortunately the designations don't strike any bells with me. I also ran this by one of my co-workers who has worked with a lot of different SCRs and they didn't seem to mean anything to him either.

Since you bought it from mouser, do you have the manufacturer and manufacturer's part number?

Reply to
Noway2

It might help if you posted the Mouser part number. We don't even know which package style you've got.

You can test the thing to find out which pins are which.

Wire up this circuit:

+12 ---+---[LED]---[470R]------A | __ +-------[470R]---o o---G

/ Gnd --------------------o o---C

When the SCR is connected Anode to A, Cathode to C, and Gate to G, it will behave as an SCR should. You will not hurt it if you mis-connect it. Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Let's see; the part number is 511- TYN408G and the mfg. P/N isn't much different, it's TYN408GRG.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Hubbard

Thanks, Ed.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Hubbard

It's been so long since I've used a SCR in a project, I forgot about that. Thank's for the reminder.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Hubbard

This part doesn't even show up on the manufacturers site!

I did locate this link, however.

It will take you to the datasheet for ST's standard SCRs. I came across this when I made the search more generic and found a TYN410.

It is possible that part of the problem is that the tyn408g has been made obsolete.

Reply to
Noway2

Reply to
ehsjr