I2S

Where can I read the principles of I2S? I found it in some Audio CODEC applications. I do not know the reason why it uses three different clocks Master Clock, Bit Clock and Data Alignment Clock. I understand the Data Alignment Clock generally the the left and right audio signals in digital format alternately on a single line in serial. But still why are there bit clock and master clock. Where can I find out about all this theories as well as other requirements for a complete Full Duplex system of inter chip communication. Regards

Reply to
Myauk

"Myauk" wrote in news:1168578635.084311.289110@

11g2000cwr.googlegroups.com:

Google is a good place to start...

me

Google ? Wikipedia ?

All the audio DACs and ADCs I can think of need only L/R_clock ( word clock ) and bit_clock.

What do you actually want to *know* ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I am studying about the Wolfson WM8776.

I generally understand that an audio file contains audio information with different sample rates. So L/R clock defines the periods in which Left and Right Audio Signals in PCM format would be agreed to trasmit and receive between the Master and Slave Devices, then the bit_clock is just a reference to determine the sample rate at which the PCM signal is transmitted, and then Master Clock, I hope, is just for infromation.

Correct me if I am wrong. I am reading as much as I could but I need help for faster learning. Thanks

Reply to
Myauk

You seem to have it pretty much correct.

Bit clock is simply used to clock in each bit of serial data.

I've yet to see a system that uses M_clk.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Thanks There are other DAC ICs that uses M_Clk such as CS4351; they all use four lines for data communication: Bit, Master, Left/Right clocks!

and serial data, and I 2S uses three: Bit clock line, Word clock line (also called word select line), And at least one multiplexed data line.

But where does that Master Clock come from? I am reading through the wolfson white papers to understand more about it. Regards

Reply to
Myauk

Dare I say, the master clock oscillator ! All the others are just divided down from it.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Yes, now I understand about it. The fundamental concept require only three types, the bit, the L/R clock signals and the data signal. But they are just inventing new concept of Master clock for a few reasons. Here, see this,

Now I can figure out the general concept of Data transimssion and receiving for Audio Systems. Thank you for your colloborative suggestions.

Regards

Reply to
Myauk