Hybrid audio bi-amps

I have a Pansonic stereo system with separate high and low speaker terminals. There is only one stereo power amp ... thus it is not a true bi-phase arrangement. I can't find the answer to how the hybrids work, so I am posting my guess here.

Here is what I think is going on. The right channel is phase inverted when compared to the left. Thus, for a mono signal, the signal voltage across the R-L connection is twice that from R to gnd or L to gnd. The clue is that the low speakers are series connected across the R-L hot terminals and so are the surround speakers.

Anybody know for sure? Thanks.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

I don't know about "hybrid" or Panasonic, but the arrangement you describe is called "bridge" mode. Since it effectively doubles the voltage swing across the load, the output power is quadrupled (assuming the amp can supply the current.)

Best regards,

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator

Reply to
Bob Masta