HF transformer losses less with reduced magnetization path

Hi all,

I have two Metglas C cores forming a high frequency transformer O core. I found that wrapping primary and secondary windings on the same bobbin as opposed to wrapping them on separate bobbins on opposite sides of the core has a profound improvement in transformer core efficiencies. I am aware that doing so would reduce the leakage inductance significantly, but that shouldn't affect core hysteresis efficiencies (up to 10% more efficient) I would think since I'm recycling flyback currents anyway. Perhaps covering half the transformer with windings instead of most of it reduces core eddy currents, but as these cores are laminated composites I believe the eddy currents are low as it is. Either way, with a reduced magnetization path the coupling is better. I just don't quite understand what core loss mechanism is subdued in doing so. Any ideas?

Thank you,

JT

Reply to
JTsteenkamp