Help with simple LED sequence

Did you download the codec package from M$?

Reply to
Lord Garth

Good thing your not looking for WMP 9 under XP, its been pulled in favor of the more restrictive WMP10. BTW, I have the file for WMP9 under XP stored if you need it.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Hi Terry,

WMP10 implements more of the DMC restrictions with regards to serial copying of media. MS made it look sharp and it is enticing but it ( and WMP9 ) report back what you are playing if the 'currently playing' option is selected. They are looking up current info on whatever you are playing so they can present you with something as simple as the album art...and from whom, I do not know but it is none of their business.

I have selected to display the graphics equalizer rather than currently playing info and I have deselected nearly everything except the codec updates and loaded the service packs that are appropriate. I have selected sndrec32.exe to play .WAV files simply because it is silly to load a 7+MB program to play a 32KB audio clip. This can be done at install time but if you then look, it did not accept the change. You must do the deselecting after the install or WMP is still used to play WAV files.

I hope that helps you! Yes, never allow automatic updates, MS does not know what is best for me.

Quicktime Alternative is the code from WMP6.4 which was released to the public. It was modified and now does what WMP should have done all along.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Sounds like I should be glad I didn't accept the regular automatic update offers I keep getting then! Could you say a few words about 'restrictive' please?

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

Thanks, very helpful.

Reckon I'll take a look at QuickTime Alternative too. Trouble is, I now have so many players of one shade or another that I risk never becoming truly adept with any single one of them. My favourite to date, and the one I use for organising my music (well, in sporadic bursts of activity when I get around to it!) is MediaMonkey.

Hope you and yours OK with approach of Rita?

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

I "upgraded" from WMP6 to WMP9. I had been ass-u-me-ing that it automagically got upgraded somewhere in the 60 or 70 windows "update" thingies.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Heh. While getting WMP 9, I first tried WMP 10 (hey, later is better, right? har-de-har har.) and after the big download, log off, log on as administrator, "This software can only be installed on XP." I have W2K. Finally D/L'd WMP9 and it plays fine. It[1] was clever, but I didn't roll on the floor. :-)

Cheers! Rich

[1] the LED movie, with credits. :-)
Reply to
Rich Grise

Thanks Terry, I live in Dallas which is 480km from Galveston, we're likely not going to see anything here though we need the rain. The high pressure and therefore high temperatures / humidity has helped deflect the storm. Contact with the land will deflect it more and finally, the jet stream will rip it apart.

My mom, sister, aunt & nephew have moved about 240km inland and all are safely with other family members. I have told mom to stay there for a week as the traffic is stopped. There is no point in trying to return quickly.

I expect some minor flooding in Galveston but, unlike New Orleans, it is not in a bowl. The water will drain back into the bay relatively quickly. The wind and flying debris is more of a danger at this point. We will know more tonight.

Take care and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Jon

Reply to
Lord Garth

A copy of the registry prior to installation is a good idea, then you can back off the WMP10 install if you want. Otherwise, MS won't let you 'downgrade'.

The codec package is available for DL as are the backgrounds and skins for WMP9

Reply to
Lord Garth

--
Yup.

Nice job, BTW!
Reply to
John Fields

Are the 1N4148's really needed? I mean, the LEDs will block the backward current, won't they?

--
Sincerely,                      |                http://bos.hack.org/cv/
Rikard Bosnjakovic              |         Code chef - will cook for food

If it only had been an mpg so I could see it as well.

-- Sincerely, |

Rikard Bosnjakovic | Code chef - will cook for food

Rikard Bosnjakovic

No, the diodes are needed to steer each 4017 output to the appropriate LED. Without them, you'd be shorting 2 or 3 4017 outputs.

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

What player are you using? Don't you have WMP? WMVs play OK here in various players:

- WMP9

- IrfanView

- Nero ShowTime

- RealPlayer

- PowerDVD

But just for you, I had a crack at converting it to an MPG:

However, I get some strange behaviour when I play that here (mainly in WMP9, but also in those others, plus QuickTime). Sometimes it plays OK throughout (although I reckon it's a bit 'squashed'), but maybe 75% of the time it has odd 'corruptions' and 'jumps', and also sometimes seems to lose the video-to-audio sync.

Maybe someone who played the earlier WMV version could confirm please?

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

I made a new conversion using a different program, and this one seems OK. A bit larger than the WMV, but that's apparently a characteristic of the two formats.

Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK
Reply to
Terry Pinnell

You are right, of course. I wonder how I could miss that.

-- Sincerely, |

Rikard Bosnjakovic | Code chef - will cook for food

Rikard Bosnjakovic

"Bart" wrote in message news:c5052$432c5c26$d8442b04$ snipped-for-privacy@FUSE.NET...

And WHEW what a journey I've had! Many thanks to all, including John Fields, petrus bitbiter, and Terry Pinnell for their schematics. After setting up my 555 for something close to 1 herz so I can visually verify the sequencing, I began on the discrete portion of the logic firing (did I say that right?). Thanks to petrus bitbiter's link to the AAcircuit software I could read the text schematics supplied by he and John Fields (later I learned about fixed font in Outlook Express, doh!). In acquiring AAcircuit I also stumbled across CircuitMaker Student Version which resembled Terry Pinnell's posted GIF schematic. I breadboarded Terry's configuration first, unsuccessfully. After researching the 4017 chip I found I also had to hookup Vdd and ground on the chip (pins 16 and 8) and it CAME TO LIFE! Feeling full of myself, I breadboarded petrus bitbiter's schematic, unsuccessfully. Taking what I learned in my first attempt and researching other unrelated schematics using the 4013 chip I found it is popular to tie pins 4,6,8,12 (set/reset) to ground and it COMES TO LIFE! Now I'm a genius, a player, my crotch is huge. I breadboard John's schematic unsuccessfully but I'm not worried, I'm bulletproof, I'm the digital James Bond. After trying different combos of Hi/Lo on S and S-not/R and R-not and pulling the led's from different branches/pins, I was able to have eight leds, four running the sequence forward and the other four running the sequence in reverse. Ah, my first digital orgasm! I'm going to hardsolder John's circuit and use it to drive opto isolators. It will be a handheld encoder simulator to troubleshoot digital readouts and CNC controls on machinetools (John recognized petrus' circuit, labelling it a quadrature encoder which assured me I had come to the right place for help). Can any of you guys relate to my excitement at completing my very first logic/gate/digital/flip-flop/nipple hardening/led experience? I have many analog stories to tell but think this experience will lead me to many more adventures in gating/counters/timers/binary/hex/etc.

THANKS SEB !!

Bart

Reply to
Bart

Well done! And, yes, I imagine most here will relate closely to your triumph .

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK