Freq response of SB Audigy

I have an SB Audigy 2 card and I was going to use it for a quick freq response tester of a passive audio component that I have.

Well, the results that I'm getting is very strange. I'm using the output of the sound card fed back into itself on the input. (basically line out to line in).

I use a 20hz to 20khz sweep and I get some type of octave distortion at about 10khz that gets stronger all the way up to 20khz.

Here are the frequency responses

Does anyone have an explination for something like this? Is the soundcard bad or is there some type of coupling issues(I'm just using a standard patch cable)?

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Abstract Dissonance

This is even worse then I do an internal loop back type of record. (i.e., I can record "What You Hear"). The distortion is even more pronounced. Is this some problem with the circuitry design of the card or some practical limition of ADC and DAC or is my card crap?

Reply to
Abstract Dissonance

Rising freq resp sounds/looks like clipping to me... gain too hi on the receive side?

Reply to
BobG

No. I tried several different levels. I used some white noise too and the envelope of the test is constant but the response looks like it has a low frequency component. I can only imagine that it is probably the card. There was a storm a while back and it took out my memory socket. Computer seems to work fine but when there was memory in the socket I would get reboots/lockups shortly after boot... maybe it did more damage than I realized.

Reply to
Abstract Dissonance