Discharge a huge voltage

about 1mF and 30 ohms gives me a 30ms TC, so 0.01s isn't going to work... But since I'm the 21st reply I assume that's been said.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

off an

ary

ff --

d to

tick

think

't

ago

ut a

ng

acts =3D

Wow, that's weird. Sorry, I don't think I can help.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

You should try to get a hydrogen thyratron tube, I used one in 1967 to discharge 20KV through a 75 ohm resistor, that was 266 amperes, or a peak power of 266*226*75=5.3 mega watt..... Used to make cosmic rays visible. Lots of fun(and problems, and fireworks).

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

f an

ick

hink

go

t a

ng

acts =3D

Only that if I reduce the carbon cube or eliminate I will basically get almost next to zero resistance, but I do want to add a little bit of a resistance in the circuit, how much ?? I do not know yet. and where do you get a hydrogen thyratron tube? JP

Reply to
lerameur

Form the university storage :) I dont even know the type anymore, but it was big,(15 cm high) and the ingnition voltage was 500 volt. And your resistor depends on the peak current your transistor(or fet) tolerates. If interested, google for "hydrogen thyratron". The one at

would be about the one I used, but then it came from Philips, Netherlands.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

)

The easiest thyratron to find would be a photographic strobe light (usually xenon filled); they are intended for a millisecond or two of high current with long recovery time, though.

Reply to
whit3rd

--
http://www.rell.com/Pages/Product-End-Category.aspx?productCategory=10268