Design Help Needed

the relay I chose only needs 100mA(worst case) for the coil, as long as he only needs one at a time for his remote, there will be no problems with USB power.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Thanks for the link. I missed the original reference somehow.

Forgive my ignorance, but, will I be able to attach these relays directly to the stripboard? I looked at the datasheet and all pin spacings are a multiple of .1 inches. So I'm assuming yes.

-george

Reply to
gecono

I found your original post in reference to the relay. My newsreader created a new thread when I previously tried to post an attachment (it appended the file name to the subject). Sorry about that. Thanks for all the help.

-george

Reply to
gecono

Yes, It'll take about the same amount of real-estate as a 12-pin DIP (hence gaps in the pin numbering on the pinout) it is of course taller than a typical dip.

note that the diagram shows the underside of the device, datasheets for ics usually show the top, so flip it over in your head and youll see that tne numbers go counter-clockwise from 1 to the top (12) like on a regular dip.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Okay Jasen,

Since you basically picked all the parts for me I'm going with your suggestions ;) Below is the relay circuit with your suggested modifications and parts:

vcc | \\ |__ o o | )| 1N914A - )| relay ^ )| FBR211SAD005M |__)| | | |/ [PIN]----/\\/\\/\\--| 2n3904 3.3K | |>

| | GND

I'm ordering the parts tonight for the relay circuits.

Also, I really want to thank everyone who took the time to help me out. Keep a watch on this thread as I will report back my progress and probably ask more questions.

-george

Reply to
gecono

The parts came in last night and I am eager to get started! I was figuring on assembling and testing the relay circuits before introducing the pic and usb uart module.

I'm planning on using a 9V battery to test the above circuit. After some research I found that I can use a 5V voltage regulator for the power. My question is what is the simplest way to simulate the pic pin on the base of the transistor?

-george

Reply to
ge
[snip]

[snip]

Either connect [PIN] to 5v on the regulator, or through another 3.3k directly to your 9v.

Reply to
Randy Day

probably connecting it throug the 3.3K resistor to +5V or to 0V will be close enough for this.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Good news! I've successfully built six of the relay circuits above and integrated them with the existing rf remote. Low and behold it works. It took me the better part of a day to figure out the layout as well as the assembly. (Told you I was a newbie ;)

Again thanks to everyone in this group for helping me with this project. Stay tuned...

-george

Reply to
gecono