DC power Jack - A basic Question

Hi,

I am building a board where the power input can come from a battery or an adapter. So, I used a 3-polled DC jack and draw this schematic:

My aim is that when a plug is connected to the jack, the Battery GND signal will be disconnected. When the plug is taken out again, the Battery GND is connected again and the circuit contiunes getting power. Does the circuit in the schemtic work?

Thank you, JJ

Reply to
jidan1

Switch the + terminal, not the ground. Place an isolation diode in series with each power source so they can't feed into each other.

Don't put power on the ring (outside) terminal as you stand a greater chance of shorting the battery.

Lastly, use a co-axial power jack.

Good luck!

Reply to
Lord Garth

Thanks Lord Garth,

Really? Most electronic devices ( e.g. Spartan3 - starter kit

) do that.

Reply to
jidan1

"Work" what do you mean? No leakage between Bat_Gnd and Gnd will be a challenge on sample board and may shorten the battery during insertion-removal of plug. But used in many instances of "el cheapo" 'designs??'

Have fun

Stanislaw

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto