Could a stun gun have destroyed his Legend car's electronics?

Could a stun gun have destroyed his Legend car's electronics?

My friend has a 1988 Acura Legend Coupe. He was trying out a stun gun and accidentally zapped the car. The car wouldn't work after that. Any idea what happened? What circuits should be checked out? Is there an inexpensive fix for this automobile engine problem, if it was the stungun that caused the problem? Could a relay or hidden fuse gotten burned, perhaps?

Reply to
dennis702717

If the computer module fried its not cheap.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

It probably destroyed some of the electronics involved with running the car, the "engine management computer" or similar.

buy a cheap car.

most unlikely relays are pretty rugged and stun guns don't emit enough current to blow typical automotive fuses.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Yes it could have destroyed the electronics. The car's computer or engine management system. Troubleshoot it like anything else - assume nothing since it could be a coincidence.

My Tesla coils would write to the CMOS setup when the computer was in the same room with the coil - scrambling the date time and every other user entered variable.

It also destroyed a Dynamic Memory Module

default

fried the computer ?

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Let us hope that the yobbos on streets of Britain and just about every European country do not read this. Just imagine the damage that a few of these criminals could do with home-made stun guns. One yobbo could do the best part of a million dollars worth of damage in one day given the right place.

Roger Dewhurst

An automobile can withstand a lightning strike without too much damage. It is, after all, close to a Faraday cage. I'm not convinced that this is cause and effect.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

of

the

right

cause

I agree. I was going to ask the OP exactly where the car was zapped. Interior or exterior? ... Johnny

Reply to
Johnny Boy

I had a similar experience with the high frequency start on a tig welding machine scrambling the tuning on the radio. Turning it on and off didn't fix anything. But disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes fixed things. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Duh, my friend has a gun, like if he shot me in the arm would it hurt? Any idiot knows the 1988 Acura did not have SGProtection included although your friend could of got it aftermarket from http:\\\\

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Jim Douglas

Problem loading that page!!!!!

It seems that modern car electronics can be zapped merely trying to start a car using jumper leads or re-charging the battery without disconnecting it. If that is the case the application of some 50,000 volts to the car's grounding system might, quite plausibly, zapp the fancy electronics.

Roger Dewhurst

yes very easily.

Basically, any "electronic" as opposed to electrical (i.e not light bulbs but chips and stuff) are potentially done-for. You might find that the damage may make things behave strangely rather than total failure - Lightening damage to telecoms kit rarely takes them out completely rather stupid things happen like it won't pick the line up or the keypad stops working or the ringer has died.

The police are developing (still?) a tazer for cars that shoots out and does exactly this for persued vehicles. Another is based around a stinger but instead of spikes, it has wires. Deployed just like a stinger (in front of the vehicle and chased into it by police) the wires rub the bodywork of the car (fender, underneath etc) and give it a few hundred KV... The EMU dies and the car limps to the side of the road, arrest one bad guy.

In the early 80's we used to get free games out of video arcade machines by "spazzing" them with a piezo striker out of a gas hob lighter. By sparking to the faceplate of the coin slot, the machine would invariably freak out, I remember one "phoenix" machine that got stuck in a loop playing loud explosion sounds. We always had someone on the power switch so that if this happened we could switch off before the owner suspected anything. The best such hit was an invaders machine in the social club (when I was an apprentice) we gave it a few jabs and after the usual crap had died down (few seconds on shaking GFX and noises) it came up *9 in the credits - (BCD register got a binary value in the tens unit?)... we played it all night and the credits never changed. :o) switch off and back on after we were done to allay suspicions.

Reply to
feebo

My god! you're right - why didn't they think of that! Afterall I have never seen any video of Bad Guy causing mayhem in a perfectly serviceable vehicle.

Reply to
feebo

Yup, the car loses power, no power steering, no power brakes, guy in care crashes, loses his life or severely damaged for live. family of victom or guy sues local law enforcement agency for all they can get and most likely will get it. police officers have been ordered to take early retirement.

you know, if you really stop and think about it, the police can end up killing more people on the road by disabling vehicles, there buy causing an accident and killing others that are just moseying on their way to work in the morning.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5
Reply to
Jamie

Oops.

I was once playing with a "stungun" I had built from a car's ignition coil..Had it in pieces on my desk here..and it arced to the metal plate on the bottom of the PC's keyboard..The PC froze,and wouldn't boot after that.It appeared totally dead. I waited like 3-4 days,and plugged in a different keyboard,and it booted up and worked fine for another year or two..

The car however,I feel may be completely dead. Replacing the ECU would be a good starting point,but it won't be cheap. Test all the sensors,ignition modules,etc..They could be toast too. Then,once the car is running you can go from there..(The radio,any computerised/digital heater controls,etc. may be fried also.)

Reply to
PhattyMo

Ha! My old V8 with points would be impervious.. The only "electronic" thing in my car is the stereo..so what if it dies,The motor is still running.

The thing about Killing a car's ECU,is it only works on cars with ECU's!

Reply to
PhattyMo

I still have trouble believing that a zap to the body of a car could do any damage. A few weeks ago, I saw a television program in which they zapped a car from above with simulated lightning, with a reporter sitting in the car. No damage was done either to the car or the reporter. The current travelled through the car body to ground through the tyres. If it had happened inside the car, a different story, I would think.... ... Johnny

Reply to
Johnny Boy