Circuit Analysis Question

I am taking an electronic circuit analysis class via correspondence and one of the questions on the homework assignment has the following statement concerning two identical diodes connected in a circuit:

"They are connected in series, back to back."

Am I to assume they mean anode-to-anode or cathode-to-cathode instead of both oriented identically (i.e. cathode-to-anode)?

Thanks for any clarification. Unfortunately there are no similar examples to compare to in the textbook and the question in question does not include a diagram.

Reply to
NodakBarnes

and one

statement

of

Yes, that is what back-to-back means.

Are they zener diodes? If so, then it would make sense for them to be in series. Normal signal diodes would be connected in parallel, back-to-back.

Reply to
Andrew Holme

instead

be

To clarify: Parallel back-to-back means the opposite i.e. anode to cathode.

Reply to
Andrew Holme

one

I think you're correct. To me, back-to-back means same-to-same -- anode-to-anode or cathode-to-cathode.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

one

Why not post the entire question, then perhaps we can come up with reasonable conclusions?

Reply to
John Smith

yes

Reply to
Jamie

Technically, that's called "antiparallel" to distinguish it from back-to-back series.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise