Can anyone recommend good instructional videos on basic/intermediate electronics?

I took three years of electronics in high school, but spent the last

25+ in software. I still remember the basics, and I can deal with simple digital stuff, but there are gaps, and I don't remember much of the analog stuff. I'd like to get a basic competency so that I can understand basic circuits, and 'improvise' when necessary.

I spend a lot of time in my workshop nowadays, organizing and working on mechanical stuff. I usually have a TV going with some educational program going in the background. There are times when I have to pause it--if I need to really think about what I'm working on--but a lot of the time I'm working with my hands and listening to the TV...

I have some books on Electronics, but I don't often find the time to sit and study, so it's slow progress. What seems to work well for me is to get an overview of a topic, and then go to the books to fill in the details.

Can anyone recommend a good set of instructional videos, lecture series, or something like that?

Thanks in advance.

-Scott

Reply to
Mr. INTJ

My advice is to jump in and a start a modest project that you are really interested in. If you run into a 'gap', then search the internet. There are so many excellent resources out there it is hard to imagine you have a basic question that you can't find the answer to in a few minutes.

-Kevin

Reply to
BoldInventions

Already doing that. I've got an Arduino microcontroller board that I've been using to control motors and servos with PWM, read rotary encoders, etc. I just finished building a TI INA217-based preamp for my (unbalanced) dynamic mic.

On each project, I either remember something I learned in school, or some EE at work points out something in my circuit that's obvious once they've mentioned it. I still have difficulty looking at a complex circuit and breaking it down into meaningful sub-elements.

I'm trying to reach that critical mass point where you know enough, and know where to go to look for the rest...

Reply to
Mr. INTJ

Once you're past the real basic stuff, a good self-study course is to pick up The Art of Electronics (ISBN 0521370957) and the companion Student Manual (0521377099). Read AoE and work through the hands-on stuff in the student manual. You'll need some basic equipment, of course, for the lab work. Be aware that there's a new edition of AoE expected sometime in 2009, or at least before Duke Nukem Forever. ;-)

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

"David L. Jones"

** Dave speaks the truth - for bloody once.
** No it has not - I was forced to wise up.

Originally, I was a naive and optimistic on-line poster ( like many others) and paid a very heavy price for that mistake.

Usenet is an evil jungle full of malicious wild animals, without civilisation or any rule of law.

Complete anarchy reigns.

Some of the *vilest individuals* on the planet post here every single day.

So I took it on myself to expose some of them.

Fuck you if you don't like it.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Do tell Phil... Did someone's sticks'n'stones break your bones or something?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

He made the mistake of assaulting a toaster that was still plugged in. He'd not been the same, since then. :(

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell