Building Your Own Flyback Transformer

It depends. Sometimes it can be quite sporty to pretend "What if I am on a lonely island and only my laptop and these few parts?" You can get a similar circuit going (not with the TIP31 though, and with a forward concept) using just the sound card and a $2.99 Harborfreight multimeter.

Of course, on that island your laptop battery would croak after two hours so you've got to be done by then ;-)

But seriously, I was in such situations more than once. Client had a circuit issue that turned out to be a really nasty noise intrusion from somewhere. But from where, and what's the path? Next to nothing in suitable equipment, just my trusty laptop with its 18bit sound card. However, we needed an iso xfmr that went down to 5Hz and mine quits at

15Hz or so. So we took a mains iso transformer and roached phono jacks onto it. Of course this just had to be the day the regular OSHA inspection happened. One engineer turned pale when he saw that. "Put that away!" ... "Why? We need it right now." ... "Cause the OSHA guy is next door" ... "Dee-deedle-dum, don't turn around, the commissar's in town, dee-deedle-dum" ... "Stop that!" (I know the guys quite well, else I would have pulled that Falco song)
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks for the goggle reminder. (I wear glasses, so, for years, I was exempt from the goggle requirement in the undergrad chem labs. No contact lenses in the chem labs... no no no... the solvents would dissolve your contacts while on your eye...)

I think I'll try an IRF530 then, since my TIP31A won't do. (Or I could try paralleling 4 2N2222s...) For a mosfet, that means I have to increase the gate drive voltage to 10V or so, right? Scary. For safety's sake I think I'll use a "safety resistor" in series with my primary coil and the mosfet. A 12V lamp should do...

And you're right, it's more fun to adopt a "deserted islander mentality" and do this on the cheap, which is partly why I opted to go discrete for the multivibrator instead of using a 555. On the other extreme, I could just BUY 6 lead acid batteries and connect them in series to get my big voltages... but what's the fun in that...

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

GREAT idea! Flyback Converters for Dummies

I never would have guessed... just like I wouldn't ever expect "Nonlinear Partial Differential Equations for Dummies" either...

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Yabbut ! Many of those materials are made intentionally very lossy.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Would be damn handy if there was.

Especially if it's one colour on one side with another one the other. White and yellow are very popular. Damn, which company is that ? Big American one.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Less than you might think. I've sent quite a bit of energy across sub-penny class ferrite beads and none ever got hot.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

and yellow are very

Nope, it's Adidas:

But seriously, yellow and white is usually a hydrogen reduced EMI ferrite for low frequency stuff. MicroMetals uses the colors but so do others.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Excellent tutorial. I'd save many miles on the freeway if everyone would be familiar with the scope plot in figure six. When you see that shark fin it's time for duck and cover.

A few days ago I saw a book "The Bible for Dummies". At first it shocked me a bit but hey, whatever it takes.

Anyhow your IRF530 is a lot better than the TIP31 but keep in mind that whatever is driving it needs to wallop the 700pF gate capacitance around and it needs to push it up to 10V. And fast.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

The prices you design to never fail to amaze me.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

and > yellow are very popular. Damn, which company is that ? Big American

Micrometals were indeed the ones I had in mind.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Not always. What I am designing right now is more the "whatever it takes" kind. But even there one must keep later mass production in mind, it would not help anyone if I came up with a Princess on the Pea solution.

As for hand-wound stuff the world changes as well. Labor rates in Asia are picking up.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It is useful to pull a MacGuiver once in a while. A few years ago I was on a troubleshooting job at NSA and I found that a glitch in a logic circuit was causing it to malfunction, and it was preventing the use of a $50,000 piece of equipment used for critical circuit breaker calibration. I figured that a small capacitor would fix it, but we didn't bring an assortment of parts, and their cal lab didn't have that sort of thing either. It would have been very difficult to go back out through security and go somewhere to get some parts and then come back in, and we really needed to get this test set up and running. Luckily, someone had a broken multimeter that we were able to cannibalize and get a capacitor that fixed the problem. So they were able to get their testing done, and national security (or at least my job security) was once again assured.

There should be a techie version of "Survivor" that require the participants to use electronic junk to cobble together some sort of circuit that allows them to get out of situations.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

Wow, that would make a great show!

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

On Aug 29, 4:05 pm, Joerg wrote: ...

Figure 16 has pretty much what I was trying to do, but better - brilliant use of the 555 feedback pin! But... No protection diode for the mosfet, though? And no capacitor to block the DC?

Shark fin... well, at least it guarantees income, right? :)

Can my 555's output pin 3 handle it? Should I use a resistor in series with the gate, or don't bother...?

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

It sounds promising. An electronic 'Scrapyard Challenge' kind of.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

sounds like junkyard wars, but with added politics.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

What diode, and why block DC? Big MOSFETs carry a staunch parasitic body diode that can often handle around the same current the MOSFET itself can take. DC flux: That's why you must use a gapped core here. A non-gapped core will run away within tens of usec ... kablouie.

Yeah, except some of the proto boards I get fill the lab with such a burn stench that I have to keep the windows open even in winter.

I rarely use gate resistors. But if the trace/wire length is more than

1/2" total including FET pin length you might want to slip a ferrite bead over it or hang 20-30 ohms in series (right at the FET).
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

:-)

I once went around and asked whether someone had an older portable transistor radio. "What for?" ... "Well, I need the little audio transformer in there and I'll pay $20" ... "Twenty bucks? Deal! Here!"

BTW, next time that happens ask if there is a RadioShack nearby. One that hasn't mutated into a cell phone shop like ours did. They have little Smorgasbord-kits for a few Dollars, containing a nice mix or ceramic through-hole capacitors. I have been known to do Viking-style raids on RadioShacks near clients. Once we had a pile of a dozen clamp-on ferrites and it still wasn't enough. "Oh, I'll just hop over to RadioShack" ... "Ahm, that's where these came from, I cleaned out all four stores around here yesterday evening".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

If I build a Boost converter instead of a transformer, does my inductor still need an air gap?

(figure 3):

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Yes. It makes no difference whether the boost (flyback) converter has an isolated output winding or gets the output off the primary winding. Both versions alternately store input energy in a magnetic field, then dump that energy to the output. Solid ferrite does not store very much energy before saturating, but the air gap in the flux path stores lots more energy per volume than the ferrite core material does.

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to