Basic Electricity Question

I went over a book which discussed safety in electric systems. To my understanding, I think if there is no complete path to form thru your body you won't get a shock taken also with the fact the potential of your body is the same as the point of touch (known as commons). Am I correct?

Thanks Jack

Reply to
Jack

On Mar 24, 7:43=A0pm, "Jack" wrote: > I went over a book which discussed safety in electric systems. > To my understanding, I think if there is no complete path to form thru your > body you won't get a shock taken also with the fact the potential of your > body is the same as the point of touch (known as commons). Am I correct? >

That's why birds can sit on power lines. While it's technically true for you too, I don't recommend trying it as it's VERY difficult to be sure there is ONLY one connection to you -- and if you goof, well, RIP.

GG

Reply to
stratus46

These guys have it down pat!

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Like a squirrel that took out about a dozen blocks of downtown Eustis one day. It managed to set across a 7200 volt line right out the open front door of my business and exploded. What little of it that hit the ground was "Roasted, In Pieces. My ears rang for almost an hour from the noise .:(

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hey, I wonder whatever happened to that poster on here (or S.E.D?) who thought they could safely handle downed power lines, and was going to go out and try it? Haven't heard anything on the Darwin Awards yet...

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

I am wondering why there are some bolts when he "probes" the metal thing to the line... Does he hurt? Thanks Jack

Reply to
Jack

That's why birds can sit on power lines. While it's technically true for you too, I don't recommend trying it as it's VERY difficult to be sure there is ONLY one connection to you -- and if you goof, well, RIP.

Have you guys really experienced any shock disaster in your life? :) I want to learn but I don't want to cringe. Is it really good to study and probe around without ever concerning about the hazard? :) Thanks Jack

Reply to
Jack

It's good to study but watch the probing. Many situations you only get ONE shot. Anything involving serious power has many hazards, particularly for the novice.

--
Cheers ............. Rheilly
Reply to

Listen to the sound track. It's all explained.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

What is the Faraday's Cage he mentioned in the video? "the person enclosed in the cage and energised that cage, with whatever voltage, the man still lived" Thanks Jack

Reply to
Jack

There is this wonderful thing called Google - the first result of which gives:

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

I suggest you read up about Faraday cages.

Reading stuff is typically how one learns.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

He got a nice new coat with 12 foot sleves, and taken back to the home?

--
aioe.org is home to cowards and terrorists

Add this line to your news proxy nfilter.dat file
* drop Path:*aioe.org!not-for-mail to drop all aioe.org traffic.

http://improve-usenet.org/index.html
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There is such a thing as a virtual ground. Read about this and think twice.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Take off ALL jewelry, including necklaces, rings, watches, etc. Probe with only one hand, and put the other hand in your pocket. That way, if you zap yourself while probing, only the one hand gets it.

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise