Adjustable Carbon Attenuator

I looked at this Attenuator:

And there are some specification I don't understand. So what is Resistive Element? I wonder if it is always "Carbon on laminated paper"!!? If so, why they put it in there? Same question to Wiper Contact.. isn't it always "Metal"??

Thanks.

Reply to
quanghoc

A very good desciption of what it is.

No.

See above.

No.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Do you think the differences in material would matter a lot?

Reply to
quanghoc

Element could also be conductive plastic, or cermet. I think they are implying paper phenolic board by "laminated paper". The contact could be graphite, as it sometimes is on wire wound pots.

It looks like 3 sides of the rectangular box are linear motion variable resistors, connected together to form a constant impedance, T attenuator.

Reply to
John Popelish

Probably not for this application, where the setting is not likely to need adjustment on a daily basis.

Reply to
John Popelish

It certainly can. Depends a lot on the application.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Its rated to 900 MHz. Its basically a standard constant impedance 75 Ohm video level control. I've seen lots of the older through hole version in Sat receivers and video processing equipment in the broadcast and CATV industries.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida