12 volt thermostat (button? type) for solar window heater project

I am looking for a thermostat to turn on/off a small 12 volt fan on a homemade window solar heater. I think they are called "button" type. it needs to turn on at 68-80 and off at 67. Can anyone tell me the proper name of what I am looking for and/or where to find one? Thanks

Reply to
FPD35630

Try "Thermoswitch" or Thermal Switch" The 67 off 68 on might be a little hard to do.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

You would have a better chance of success if you used a simple PICAXE microprocessor

and a temperature sensor such as the DS18B20. The DS18B20 can detect a change of 1 degree or less.

I use a PICAXE and a DS18B20 to control a small fan in an audio/video cabinet:

The PICAXE 08M chip is about $3.50, the DS18B20 is about $4.50. You need either a breadboard or a prototype board for building the circuit (either is under $5). You need either a transistor or a relay to control the fan (under $3 each). So about $20 for a +/- 1 degree control circuit.

The software to program the PICAXE is a free download from

There's a VERY active support forum at

John

Reply to
John