100Mhz Data Acquisition

We are seeking a compact/low-power Data Acquisition device for deployment in small sub ocean devices. We need to sample 10Mhz pulses at better than 10 samples per pulse (e.g. ~ 100Mhz). The pulses arrive at around 10mV. At the moment we are using a rather large and cumbersome National Instruments device. This works fairly well but is not compact or low power (>30watts would be nice)

Does anyone have experience with a DAQ device that might meet our specs. I am emailing a few vendors at this time as well

Thanks, Fritz

Reply to
sonnichs

** Despite the implausibility of this post it arrives from the :

Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution OrgID: WHOI Address: 266 Woods Hole Road City: Woods Hole StateProv: MA PostalCode: 02543 Country: US

** What the heck generates 10MHz pulses under water ??

Dolphins using CB ???

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Phil Allison"

** This is our OP - complete with cute pic:

Frederick N. Sonnichsen

He works for:

Serious stuff .......

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

VHF Tunicates? Naaaaaahhhh- seriously we are modulating a 10Mbs ethernet transmitter using bright LEDs. I want to do some DSP and noise analysis. We are using a nice "neutrino detector" PMT the size of a basketball for a receiver.

We will deply below the ocean photosphere, beyond 1000 meters where it is very dark. Typically we lilke to can up things in a Ti cylinder and operate from batteries. Compactness, Power consumption, and Thermal output are everything to us in Oceanography.

Cheers, Fritz

Reply to
sonnichs

** You are on the WRONG newsgroup - Fritz.

There is nothing BASIC about your activity or question.

Try posting on " sci.electronics.design " instead.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Hello Fritz,

If you intend to do a circuit board look at the TI converter ADS5500.

14bits at 125MHz. That, plus a nice gain controlled preamp such as an AD603 (Analog Devices) might be the ticket and it will be a lot lower in power consumption than 30W.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

OK and thanks Joerg. I looked at the sheets for the ADS5500 -looks like a good low power option-Also I really like the fact that they have an eval board. The price is reasonable so I'll check it out-

Per Phil's comment I'll post in the "design" board next time-tough to know where 'basic" begins and ends these days with all the technology out there, especially for a guy that started on vacuum tubes

Cheers All and Thanks, Fritz

Reply to
sonnichs