wimpy diode

How come you seem to be the only one that shows READABLE (_not_ grey on grey) drawings? How dare you make things clear :)

Reply to
Robert Baer

How is that e-phemt Vgs bias point to change with temperature? Would the B-E junction TC even be in the right direction?

piglet

Reply to
piglet

Or two schottky diodes in series?

piglet

Reply to
piglet

BCX70_as_Diode.JPG

I use a BAV199W if I want a high forward drop or vanishingly small reverse current. Vf is not very well constrained by worst case limits in the datasheet though.

Allan

Reply to
Allan Herriman

In some companies there could be a risk that someone in Marketing will change the LED colour to blue without asking you, because the blue LEDs fitted under his car look so good.

Reply to
Chris Jones

Right, though you've got no emitter resistor then, and are wholly dependant on tr characteristics.

| | R | | _|c +------(_) | |e D | | D D | | | +--------+---

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If base diodes temp rise is half as much as the tr, you're good :) Easily arranged, but of course short term power dissipation variations will not go so well, and T_amb is uncompensated.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

One of those 2mVs nicely compensates the tr. So halve the diode temp rise...

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've got a graph from who knows where that shows 1N458 0.8v @ 10mA. FWIW.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not in my company! Manufacturing must use the BOM, and only an ECO can change the BOM, and I sign all the ECOs.

Add a TEC to compensate!

It's true that power dissipation in the transistor will warm it up, and change its Vbe. So a trick like this will never be really accurate. But it is cute.

or make the temp rise equal with 2mV LED and tamb is also compensated

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Sorry, I've never figured out how to do that.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I suspect that it's about the right amount and direction. I suppose I should measure it. Snarl. Snap.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

If you want crazy low reverse current, consider the c-b junction of a BFT25.

That reverse leakage was about at my measurement resolution limit.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I think for exactly 800mV I'd be tempted to just slap an AP2127 down there- SOT-23-5 and you get 800mV +/-2% with no additional parts (just an output cap). Less than 10 cents in quantity, and it can be used in other applications. Even has a shutdown input.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I find that Blue LED's create a blue fog of dispersed light vs. Green, amber or Red LED's.

It's particularly annoying.

Martin Riddle

Thanks, but I don't need that precision, and we have the BCX70 in stock.

Putting more parts into stock is generally avoided. We have 6469 parts already, 3.03 million pieces.

Ouch. JIT.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I think at one time JL said they had more than 100 types of LDO alone in stock.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany