Why does arrow in N mosfet point towards channel?

How do you like this symbol? ;-)

As for MOSFETs, the arrow represents the substrate-channel diode. It always makes me shake my head when I see those symbols with the parasitic zener explicitly piggybacked, as though it were an entirely seperate element (which is isn't, though schottky-backed MOSFETs and FRED-backed IGBTs exist, but neither is the pure MOSFET we're talking about). It's as if people don't even know the meaning of the symbol they're using.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

"Jasen Betts"  wrote in message
> On 2008-12-21, blackhead  wrote:
>> Why does the arrow in an N-channel mosfet symbol point towards the
>> channel from the substrate?
>
> same reason the arrow in an NPN transistor points towards the emitter.
Reply to
Tim Williams

And that leaves holes everywhere.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Isn't there a charge for that?

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

1.60217733 (49) e-19

...Jim Thompson

Certainly, and it's taxing.

Reply to
krw

Tim has the best answer. The diode junction represented by the arrow in a MOSFET symbol is reverse biased under normal operating conditions.

Its there to remind you of which way not to connect the device as well as to represent a junction capacitance to the substrate.

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

Sheesh! 2 of those would be electronically re-volting.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr