Where is Windows 8 Hiding My Files?

I've never seen a green bar when I open an Explorer window; they open instantly. And I can open a sub-folder or a file as fast as I can double-click, so there's nothing going on in background.

We water-wash most boards lately, but I don't allow that on precision analog or high-voltage stuff.

We just ordered a new solvent cleaning machine. The old one is 15 years old and has cleaned maybe $20e6 worth of boards; it's done its duty.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Do you see a green progress bar?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The M$ stupidity of the "sort" is that AFAIK there already is an index (B+ tree or similar) used by the file directory system.

Reply to
Robert Baer

They open instantly when the directory is "small". My attachments folder for email is rather large and is sorted by date to put the most recent files at the top. When I open it I have to wait for the sort for perhaps 30 seconds or more.

This is *hugely* affected by and affects anything running that uses the disk.

--

Rick
Reply to

I'd expect the sorting time to be trivial compared to the time needed to read the directory in the first place. Then again, maybe the sorting algorithm is something horribly clumsy; After all, CPU resources are cheap and plentiful, right?

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

So then what is it? The directory list shows up in some default order quickly, then I see the green progress bar in the address field. Only after that does the display show the many files in the correct order. So what is happening in that time? Doesn't the file system keep a copy of the directory structure? I'm surprised a read of the disk is needed.

--

Rick
Reply to

On Sat, 2 Apr 2016 00:31:46 -0400, rickman Gave us:

Like I said, it is the most stupid behavior I have ever seen.

If they can keep a thumbnails file, the idiots should be able to keep a most recently viewed order listing and SNAP to it. And THEN read the directory IN THE BACKGROUND as the user peruses the directory, and add file changes and additions at that point, and then even a sort choice change could/should be as quick as can be.

Larkin is simply blind to the event(s) and dumb as to what the process taking place even is.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

"

It may be gathering file details, ever see the list ? If you got pictures i t goes way beyond "date taken. Things like make ad model of camera, lens pa rameters, all kinds of things. If you got music files it looks for album na me, genre, date recorded, album name, author of lyrics maybe and all kinds of shit. On PDFs it picks up a screen capture of all the first pages of the m in case you decide to switch to thumbnail mode. For almost any files it o f course looks for embedded icons.

Almost every time I make a new directory I have to "choose details", but fu cking Vista won't hold my column width. I generally get rid of the shit I d on't need and expand the filename part, but it keeps reverting to the defau lt. I just don't feel like going into the registry for that issue.

Microsoft should adopt a new slogan.

"New version ! Guaranteed to piss you off more than the old version !".

Reply to
jurb6006

I'm not blind but I've never seen a green progress bar with file explorer/Win7. But I do keep my things pretty organized and I doubt that I have more than 500 files in any folder.

I use the "list" mode display, which is very fast. If you use the default icons/cartoons/thumbnails/songanddance mode, I can see that Windows would thrash a while putting all that junk on the screen.

Just don't do that.

lunatic fringe electronics

On Sat, 02 Apr 2016 08:25:26 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

Nope. Wake up.. No 'songanddance' mode, no thumbnalis or icons. Detail mode. You know, the one that allows one to sort by date or name, etc.

The green bar has always been there, you are just too blind to notice it. And still so, apparently.