where is low cutoff for simple LM317 or LUXEON circuit?

i'm starting a new flashlight building hobby but i'm not too circuit savy question about the LM317 current regulator with a current adjust resistor running a Luxeon LED.

At what low battery vogtage will the LM317LZ stop functioning and will it draw little or no current ? I read one that listed the range as 3-32v but other suffixes did not list a min voltage.

the point is to prevent battery level from dropping when at this level.

At what battery vogtage drop will a LUXEON stop functioning and will it draw little or no current ?

my plan was to hook it up and see then if not, try a potentiometer to find the cutoff point? can a simple voltage cutoff be made to to open the circuit or a divider with high value resistors adjust the LM317 or LUEXON cutoff with real almost no curent? like micro amps..

then it occurs to me that someone probably knows the answer to all this so if you've done it how did it turn out?

Reply to
sb2004

The LM317 requires a minimum of about 3 volts higher input voltage than output voltage.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr