WARNING: ISP internet speed increase could lead to cable modem failures.

Hello,

I'd like to issue another warning:

When your ISP increases your internet speed, your very old cable modem may fail eventually.

It's processor will have to work harder, draws more power, it may fail/overheat or the adapter may fail.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 14:54:59 +0200, "Skybuck Flying" Gave us:

You are a goddamned idiot.

They are made to operate FASTER than they get pumped by the ISPs.

They will NEVER get taxed to their max, and YOUR problem is YOUR problem, not the hardware.

YOU cannot keep YOUR GRUBBY FINGERS OFF of the gear you toy with.

YOU are an abject IDIOT!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 14:43:34 +0000 (UTC), John Doe Gave us:

Full a full quoted (FOOL quoted) top posted 100% retard pulling a follow up post.

Yeah... asshole... YOU are worse than he is.

Adding groups to your post is proof of that.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Since you're cross posting to an electronic design newsgroup, can I assume that you've finally read a few books and are now ready to design equipment that you are less likely to destroy?

How old is "very old" and what you expect to fail?

When an ISP increases the speed, they just add additional downstream channels which are bonded together to form one data stream. For example, in the SB6141, the 8 bonded channels are theoretically good for 343.1 Mbit/sec download speed. However, only a few modern modems can bond 8 channels. 4 or less is more common for "very old" modems such as the SB6121. It is therefore unlikely that at ISP can add more channels to a "very old" modem that doesn't allow for more channels, and therefore unlikely that anything will overheat.

Wrong. Take an AC power meter, such as a Kill-a-watt: and insert it on the power cord of your cable modem. Try downloading a big file at high speed and see if the current drain changes from when the modem isn't moving any data. It will be roughly same power drain, no matter what the modem is doing but will vary somewhat depending on the number of channels being used for up/down load. Typically, you'll be using 4 to 8 channels download, and 1 or 2 channels upload. These may vary depending on how your ISP setup their system and if you have some kind of "burst" mode, where you get very high speeds, but only for a few minutes, before you're slowed down to "normal" speeds by dropping the added channel(s). For example, I've measured the Motorola/Arris SB6141, which will draw between 7 and 9 watts depending on the number up/down stream channels are in use.

One can only hope.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

A larger pipe does not mean you get to push more water through a small valve. The max speed will be the lesser of your ISP's supplied bandwidth, the cable modem's speed, your router's speed, or your computer(s) network bandwidth. You cannot get a higher bandwidth than your slowest device.

Oops, sorry, I forgot to notice the nym of the poster. Never mind. Time to update my filters.

Reply to
VanguardLH

[...]

Have you considered a bittorrent/utorrent scenerio ?

These kind of P2P are known to cause router crashes cause of high tcp connection and/or udp ussage.

I would not be surprised if bittorrent creates a totally different picture for you ;) :)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

" How old is "very old" and what you expect to fail?

When an ISP increases the speed, they just add additional downstream channels which are bonded together to form one data stream. For example, in the SB6141, the 8 bonded channels are theoretically good for 343.1 Mbit/sec download speed. However, only a few modern modems can bond 8 channels. 4 or less is more common for "very old" modems such as the SB6121. It is therefore unlikely that at ISP can add more channels to a "very old" modem that doesn't allow for more channels, and therefore unlikely that anything will overheat. "

Don't know about all that.

All I know is:

I like my current cable modem a lot.

And speed has been going up over the years.

So somehow the ISP _is_ increasing speed.

Ubee cable modem.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

A crash is because it is using code that is not well debugged. That is nothing like burning out a CPU which seems to be what you are describing. BTW, a CPU typically runs at full speed 100% of the time unless it is designed to go into a low power mode which is normally only used to conserve battery life, not to lower the risk of damaging the CPU. Well, unless you have a 5 year old AMD x86 CPU. Those were hot mothers.

--

Rick
Reply to

Did you read his post? He is saying older cable modems are good for

150+ Mbps or some 20 MB/s. That's a lot of data. I know my provider doesn't provide that sort of data rate no matter how much I pay.
--

Rick
Reply to

No, I haven't because content has no effect on overheating. Well, overly spicy movies do tend to get the viewer hot under the collar, but I doubt they effect the modem temperature.

The common cable modem does not include a router. That's why it's called a modem, not a router. Besides, crashed modems do not overheat.

Ummm... could you decode that into something I can understand?

Good night. 1AM here and time to crash.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Read it again. It's quite clear (because I wrote it). It explains why adding a channel can't overheat an old modem. If you require clarification of any particular points, feel free to ask.

Hopefully, you know a little more than just that.

However, you also haven't disclosed your modem maker or model number. That's very suspicious. Is there something you're trying to hide? Perhaps it's so old as to be considered unsupported by your service provider?

The modem speed is not increasing. Instead, you're cognitive functions are slowing down, making everything appear to go faster. In effect, you're operating in slow motion and getting slower every day. Perception is everything.

That's a good start, but you seem to have a FoN (Fear of Numbers) problem. Not to worry as it's a common problem. I suggest that you immerse yourself in numbers for a while, which might alleviate the symptoms.

Keep trying.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Could just be a hardware if not protocol compatibility problem between your home router and your ISP's networking devices...

No faster than what the processor can do...

--
   @~@   Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
  / v \  Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!

"Skybuck Flying" wrote

I used to experience crashes of my WiFi connection while doing a torrent download. So I stopped doing torrent. I am poor and live in an apartment. However my radio skills are improving. Now torrent works for me 100% but I have lately had no luck with a Chirp LiveCD for ham radio download under Windows. Currently my 2.4 GHz Yagi feeds my 5 PC LAN. Just now I been trying to download an Ubuntu driver for a Broadcom WiFi adapter but the WIRED connection fails repeatedly. Must be some advanced kind of IP interaction I don't understand.

Reply to
Norm X

You should be using Wireshark.

That will help you see a few details about why the download stopped.

In View : Name Resolution, tick the three lines in there, to get symbolic addresses used for the trace. That makes the trace easier to read.

Since by default, it uses RAM to store the trace, don't attempt to debug a DVD download with it. Try to construct smaller test cases, if you expect to use RAM to keep the trace. Or configure the tool to use disk instead.

*******

And there are advanced kinds of IP interaction. Your ISP owns a DPI box, and can use it to interfere with any protocol they might like.

And the preferences (settings) for those boxen, vary with the part of the world you're in. In the UK, they interfere with port 119 and USENET, and that doesn't happen in other countries. (That is done, presumably, to "stop movie downloading". The port is open during the non-busy part of the day, and closes when bandwidth is at a premium. So the policy setting for that, is time-of-day dependent.)

Interfering with BitTorrent is pretty uniform, and only after they "swear in public" not to do that, will you notice the connection not being throttled or completely shut down. That's how a Torrent user gets

3KB/sec of bandwidth.

The DPI box must exist, to control email relaying. But every other usage of the box, is purely for "evil". If you don't like what a class of customers is doing, you can f*ck with them. And it's completely automated. No one sits at the DPI console, and presses a key to stop a torrent. The box does it automatically.

*******

When you use Wireshark, you're going to see many different flavors of failure. You'll see duplicated packets. These could be routing problems. Sometimes the symptoms disappear, if you drop the current IP address and grab a new one (corresponding to a different piece of access hardware). Spotting actual meddling by the ISP, is a lot harder to do. If you see RST packets applied to a wide range of IP addresses (not just one congested server somewhere), that's a hint the DPI box is doing it. And since tech support won't even admit to owning a DPI box, it's pretty hard to carry out a conversation with them. About filtering.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 19:04:41 -0700, "Norm X" Gave us:

Find another way or friend to get the disc iso for you.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

"Project Notes:

This project is simply Xubuntu with Chirp-daily installed as well as the correct drivers for Prolific, FTDI and CP2102.

It is designed to provide a known working software to load or otherwise troubleshoot loading of any radio supported by Chirp."

So you could get Xubuntu from a regular site, and add chirp-daily to it yourself. If you have Xubuntu already on a machine, you have much less to download.

Also be aware that a recent article pointed out that FTDI makes a driver that *bricks* clones of FTDI products. So if accepting FTDI drivers now, you have to be aware about what versions are poison. Apparently, there are look-alike chips made to resemble FTDI parts, that internally are not even implemented the same way. And apparently the latest FTDI driver will break them.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I had trouble downloading an ISO last week and switched to a the torrent option which worked better for me on that day.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

Use a few proxies.