Wanted: 80C51-based MCU

Must have 4 bytes (32 pins) I/O. Must have internal UART for serial I/O; serial input either at a pin or programmable to one of the I/O pins and serial output either at a pin or programmable to one of the I/O pins. EPROM for the instructions. ASM "compiler". Relatively inexpensive "emulator"/programmer for trying out programs on a real device. Relatively inexpensive MCU, can operate from color crystal to (say)

20Mhz crystal. Must be current production part with good expectation that it will be around for the next 5-20 years, as i hate to re-do the project every 1-3 years.

Suggestions?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Anthony Fremont

Oops on that empty post. Have you considered an ARM? Incredible performance.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Hello, I studied the 8051 MCU family alot at tafe. If you want I can give you a schematic with an 8031 MCU, external eprom and external ram. The circuit uses an intel 8255 which is a PIO chip. Are you wanting a schematic diagram or are you after hardware such as just a MCU or a whole Single Board Computer made. Feel free to contact me at snipped-for-privacy@dodo.com.au. P.S. I have an 8031 chip and a 8255 chip.

Reply to
terrypoltock

ther at a pin

out programs

tal to (say)

hat it will be

An Atmel AT89S8253 is a good start. It's basically an upscale 8051, and it has non-volatile EEPROM storage on board, which often makes designs simpler. Plus some other stuff, but maybe you won't need all that.

I agree with Eeyore. (Gak! I can't believe I'm saying that!!) Emulating on 8051 is pretty much a waste of time, even when doing assembler. Of course, that's because "we";ve been programming with this baby for years, and have simulated it to death!! For a newbie, it probably is instructive! and there are many freeware/shareware emulation / simulator programs out there. Some better than others...

Any particular 8051 or derivative probably won't be around 20 years from now, but many are drop-in compatible. Heck, YOU may not be around 20 years for now!! But I do think 8051's in general are here to stay.

Program storage is usually done in FLASH these days, not EPROM. Good luck. -mpm

Reply to
mpm

Any particular 8051 or derivative probably won't be around 20 years from now, but many are drop-in compatible. Heck, YOU may not be around 20 years for now!! But I do think 8051's in general are here to stay.

Program storage is usually done in FLASH these days, not EPROM. Good luck. -mpm

Just how long was the 8748 around.... :) isn't the 51 based on that core? I reckon the 51 will be here in 20 years, sadly I probably won't :(

Reply to
TT_Man

Is an ARM code-compatible to the 8051? My application would work down to the 32+KHz "crystal" clock rate and still be more than fast enough.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I would like to have everything on one chip, instead of having a "large" MCU (22+pins) connected to a lot of external logic, etc. as i can do what i need with a few discrete logic ICs (except for the UART interface).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Assembler? No, not even close, the ARM is a 32-bit architecture but it should meet all the requirements you listed. By ARM I mean ARM7-TDMI. If you can write assembler for the 805x, you should have no trouble understanding the ARM instruction set.

It would likely be easier to make suggestions if we knew what the actual application was. Is it a secret? ;-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

I already have code for most of what i need to do; written in "ASM" for the 8051 a goodly number of years ago. That code seems to be round-robin polling of various input pins with program path depending on internal state as well as input status. All paths have been "normalized" in time-to-execute via use of a thumb-twiddle routine such that the program cycle time remains exactly constant no matter the states involved. That is to say, each and every instruction's time (1 or 2 or...ticks) has been taken into account; a change to any part of the program is fed to a special program to calculate the new execution time, and the appropiate count is applied for a call to the thumb-twiddler. A am still slightly familiar with what was done (and how), and so want to stick with the same basic MPU. Seems the 89S52 is ideal; it even has an extra byte of I/O! Now all i need to get is an emulator board with ASM software to support that MPU.

Reply to
Robert Baer

"Robert Baer" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Atmel does them:

Frithiof Andreas Jensen

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 16:15:01 -0800, Robert Baer wrote: ...

Have you tried calling the people who are supplying the 89S52?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Atmel

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

I have e-mailed Atmel.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Check.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I have a bunch of 80C537's I think that's what they are anyway. 68 lead PLCC's from Siemens

Reply to
skenn_ie

=EF=BF=BDMust have 4 bytes (32 pins) I/O.

=EF=BF=BD68

84 pins last time I looked at 1.
Reply to
cbarn24050

Keil has a (free, I think?) software emulator program (simulator). "Microvision 3" The freebie version is code limited to 2K (perhaps this is enough for you?) But even the non-free version is not very expensive.

You can run it as standalone, or connect it to one of their hardware emulators. Depending on what you need, you may not require actual hardware simulation. A lot of times, you can just step through the code on-screen.

You'll have to select a "close" match to the 89S52, but that should be too difficult as the S52 is a pretty generic 8051 with the SRF's in all the usual places.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Hey, you could go massively parallel and make the next Commodore 1024!

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored