Voltage gradient question

Lets assume that we have an electric field of 100 Volts potential deference over a distance of 1m.

So if we put two electrodes 1 cm apart within the electric field of potential deference of 100 Volts, our electrodes will give us a potential difference of 1 Volt.

If the above true?

Efthimios

Reply to
Efthimios

In the absence of other conductors, and given time to equilibrate via air ions, yes. There's capacitance involved.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hello Efthimios,

When, before applying the field, the voltage between the electrodes was zero you are right. Off course, the orientation must be OK. However, assuming field in air, when you connect an instrument to measure the voltage, some current will flow from electrode A to B, resulting in zero voltage reading. It is like placing a resistor across a small charged capacitor. When you remove the field (with the meter connected), an opposite current will flow for a moment (depending on how fast you remove the field).

When your medium has some conductivity, you will be able to measure the voltage. When you make the field AC and the input impedance of your voltmeter is far higher then the reactance of the capacitance between the electrodes, you can also measure the voltage.

It might be possible to get in indication of the potential gradient by using a mosfet amplifier.

Best regards, Wim PA3DJS

without abc you can use the PM address.

Reply to
Wimpie