Using Battery in Water

Does any battery type use in water (like bathtub)? I think that all kinds of battery are danger if using in water. But, more safe battery type exist? If battery pours in water (like bathtub), is it possible to flow very little current? I really wonder that. Please tell me your opinions.

Reply to
trimir

There's a seawater battery that uses the water as one electrode. One disadvantage to it is you can't stack cells in series. :>)

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Batteries can't really be said to work underwater. The problem is that the water acts as a conductor and allows current to flow between the electrodes. This also causes oxidation/reduction reactions at the electrodes, which degrades battery performance. In saltwater the performance degradation is rapid and extensive. I have never seen what happens to batteries in typical tap-water. I expect that the effects would be much less severe.

AFAIK, it is not dangerous to put typical low-voltage batteries in the water. The batteries will not explode or anything. And they do still deliver some power to an attached load.

While I don't think putting batteries in the bathtub is dangerous to people who may be in the tub with them, I do believe that if you want to design a device to function from battery power while in the bathtub, you will have to put it in a water-tight housing.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

Yes, a battery in a watertight enclosure.

kell