used computer

:

a few

0
100

and

y go

um.

I wasn't suggesting he buy from Denmark that would be silly, it was an example of a company doing refurb computers and the price of such old clunk ers

he asked for 500MHz+ the odds of finding 500MHz PCs in working order are slim to none

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I've been keeping my place set up with used Dell Optiplex computers from eBay. My last desktop was bought used, and I ran it for 12 years continuously. I finally upgraded, and it is now at my mother in law's place, still running fine. The Optiplex is their commercial grade series of machines, I don't know what they put in these to make them more reliable, but they seem to be really rugged.

I would always replace the hard drive with a new one. No sense in risking work on a drive that is about to wear out. You can save a lot of money buying a machine with no drive in it.

I usually can get such machines for under $100, including shipping. On eBay, watch out for crazy shipping charges on really cheap computers. Today, Intel CPUs run around 3 GHz.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

snip

Telling you that you are stupid for incessantly using the non term "computah", especially when someone who wants assistance is asking a question is worthwhile and you are stupid beyond the pale.

You are, in fact, a pail... of NYC rat dung.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The old Pentium II-150 and Compaq Presario just took a bit of time and lots of research; only 10 years ago i got some 286 computers (some free,others at $10 each).

Reply to
Robert Baer

$98 this week, with promo code. In store only. Need to add a parallel port PCI card.

Reply to
sms

It states that it has a parallel port.

The photo must not be right, because it also says it has 6 rear USB ports and I do not see those either.

So the photo or the spec sheet lies. Still looks like a helluva deal.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

In the Boston area, one classic source is the MIT Flea Market, which is run by the MIT Radio Amateurs (Hams) Club.

More generally, look up the local Ham club. Another way to find them is the ARRL website .

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Maybe place an advertisement somewhere local, e.g. a notice board or a local paper, if they offer free ads.

There will be a lot of people with these things lying around waiting to be thrown out. They won't try to sell them, because they know that nobody (except you) wants to buy such an old machine. If you let them know that you want it, someone will be glad to have you take it away.

Reply to
Chris Jones

If you have 10 of the small desktop machines with floppy, parallel port, rs232 & vga (Compaq Evo for example) & a price around $20 each and shipping is not too costly, I would be interested.

Hul

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Floppy?

You're nuts!

$20?

You're a goddamned troll.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The Dell Optiplex looks good having a parallel & rs232 port. Thanks for the warning about the shipping on Ebay too. It's easy to check one aspect and neglect another.

Hul

J> > sci.electronics.design

Reply to
Hul Tytus

There are $88 today. But no shipping, store pick-up only.

Reply to
sms