typically stupid ED article

It's sad how bad the electronics press has become.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

tirsdag den 1. september 2020 kl. 17.11.28 UTC+2 skrev jla...@highlandsnipt echnology.com:

01H9R

they just need something to space out the ads, the article was written by a "Solution Architect for Battery Testing, Electronic Industrial Solutions Gr oup, at Keysight Technologies. "

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Good golly, Miss Molly, I'm sure glad he put in that table. Ohm's law makes my head hurt.

The guy works at _Keysight_. "How are the mighty fallen." Or maybe it's their customers.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'll bet that "solution architect" has a performance review objective, and ED hasn't got much source material to choose from.

The old concept of "least publishable unit" is alive and kicking :(

Reply to
Tom Gardner

He might have added the equivalent discharge time constants, rounded to the nearest century.

I also love the ritual "11 myths about..." and "What you need to know about..." and lectures about how hard electronics is.

I wonder how he got that crud into his DVM. Maybe a month in the trash under a freeway overpass? Maybe his office still has gas lighting.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Did you notice that the author's name has all the letters necessary to spell Bozo?

Reply to
John S

Ten gigaohms!? I want one that goes to eleven.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

It's hard to believe that this is a serious article.

Reply to
Pimpom

Rofl, such contempt :-). Last time I checked, a lot of Keysight test gear was running Windoze under the hood, not even embedded Linux, or a real time os like VxWorks.

Old and quality HP test gear, such as the 16700 analysers, were running HP-UX and you could ssh login into a unix shell with a few tweaks, or even point a browser at it for remote display.

Still, I guess their lunch is being eaten by China IP ripoff tactics. How can they complete with such prices ?. Use home grown or lose it...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

But it's better than average.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

4702401H9R

"Real time"??? I used it on a project with an embedded small form factor P C. There was an OS call to do something simple that didn't return for over 400 uS! We contacted support about this long time and the response, once we got one, was that function has been in use for years and it has no bugs!

Don't even call VxWorks "real time"!

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

2401H9R

I don't get why everyone is dissing this article. It's a bit lightweight, but he is simply pointing out something that might not occur to some, that a battery can be discharged when monitored long enough, especially when the electronics in the voltmeter is contaminated by dust, or in particular, ca rbon dust.

I've never needed to monitor a battery long enough that the measurement cur rent would amount to anything and I have no idea at what time span I might need to give it attention. More importantly it would not occur to me to ch eck the insides of my equipment before starting such a test. That was the point I got from the article. Pretty much all of my equipment is over 30 y ears old... well, any that I trust. It's probably all due for some interna l cleaning.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

Idiot article for idiots.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Well, IMHO the point is one that might appropriately be made in passing, not as the main topic of an article. Like 'don't reverse the polarity'.

Reply to
Pimpom

4702401H9R

t, but he is simply pointing out something that might not occur to some, th at a battery can be discharged when monitored long enough, especially when the electronics in the voltmeter is contaminated by dust, or in particular, carbon dust.

current would amount to anything and I have no idea at what time span I mi ght need to give it attention. More importantly it would not occur to me to check the insides of my equipment before starting such a test. That was th e point I got from the article. Pretty much all of my equipment is over 30 years old... well, any that I trust. It's probably all due for some interna l cleaning.

If there is an EE out there doing electronics design that got any new insig ht out of this article...I am glad it is not my job to review their "design s".

ED has been garbage for a while.

Reply to
DemonicTubes

It took a while, but the web has killed almost all of the decent trade publications - now that the average attention span tolerates a single scroll of the screen. Most of these rags are ghosts that don't yet realize they are dead.

I do like Paul Rako's stuff a lot - the rest of ED I can generally do without.

MKE

Reply to
Michael Elwood

That suggests poor system design, but it depends on what the function was doing and host of other variables. Having worked on several rtos and vxworks projects in the past, it qualifies for the name real time, but good system design is essential to get the best from any sharp tool. Anyway this was a critical thread about Keysight and the comments look pretty accurate to me...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

The microwave and optics and defense mags are still big and fat and full of content and ads. The regular electronics mags are gone or almost gone.

4702401H9R

or PC. There was an OS call to do something simple that didn't return for over 400 uS! We contacted support about this long time and the response, o nce we got one, was that function has been in use for years and it has no b ugs!

I don't recall the exact function, but it was something to do with scheduli ng or checking a semaphore. I just remember that we used a logic analyzer to measure the timing and was very surprised that support wouldn't even dis cuss what was going on. The person on the phone was just a person capable of answering the phone. We got our response and could now shove off!

Even if the response time of the software was adequate, the response time o f the company was not.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

Hint: time is measured in seconds, not Siemens.

A 400us (not uS) call does not imply anything about realtime behaviour. A 400us (not uS) call might imply something about performance, depending on what the function did.

Reply to
Tom Gardner