Two DVMs

We can correct for tempco, and probably will, but not for noise or ageing.

$100 would not be a big deal here, although there is a case for using one or several $10 chips, if we feel that they are stable long-term.

We used to buy a Motorola zener diode that came with a graph of 1000 hours of voltage history. It came in a presentation-quality plastic tube with signed certificates, for the price of a nice dinner for four. The optimum current was noted.

I wonder if it was monolithic. More likely two dies.

<snipped>

It's supposed to be the best, so one variable a manufacturer can ignore, if the end price justifies it. They would still need to do a lot of work to get the performance, as other issues start to dominate at sub microvolt levels. Analog probably have a reference design for the pcb layout, and choice of resistors. Buying in thousands, they will get a price good enough to make them a viable choice.

Agreed, but if done right, say with batching to take care of spreads, that work only needs to be done once. Fine tuning with experience on actual performance just means a software update. Manufacturers can also specify tighter tolerancing for incoming parts, or get the vendor to do the work on curvature and aging.

Solartron and others got good results using such an approach. The Solartron 7081, 8.5 digit dvm. mid 1980's for example...

Reply to
chrisq

I will add that Volt-Nuts is a good source of circuit ideas and suggestions of components to investigate.

Really? A Keysight 34461A Digital Multimeter, 6.5 Digit, Truevolt DMM costs about $1,500 list, and the 34465A 6.5 Digit Multimeter, Truevolt DMM costs about $1,900 list. 75 ppm and 30 ppm respectively.

There is also a 7.5-digit option, 34470, for $4.400 list. Probably cherry-picked from the run of 34465A production. 16 ppm.

And then there is the 8.5 digit option, the 3458A Multimeter, for $14,400 list. 0.1 ppm

How good does this simple little voltage reference really need to be? Given what it takes Keysight to get to the above accuracies, is there any hope of getting anywhere close with just a hand full of components, even with calibration?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

I had my HP3478A calibrated & adjusted last year, MIT student lab surplus. I'm unsure if it was ever calibrated since it left the factory, there was no cert on it anywhere when I bought it.

It was within spec on everything except one test in the 3 Meg resistance range:

The work was done by Essco in Lowell, MA, about 30 miles north of Boston. total cost for the job was $170, about three times what I paid for the 3478A.. :-)

Reply to
bitrex

That would have been the 1N829.

You had to get the current to precisely 7.5mA to get the promised temperature stability. The one occasion where I saw one designed in, the engineer clearly hadn't bothered to get it precise enough - because the breakdown voltage at 7.5mA is in the range 5.89V to 6.51V and while he'd put in a trimpot to let him trim the output voltage to 10.000V exactly, he hadn't put a trimmer on the resistor that set the current to let him get that to exactly 7.5mA. It was pretty silly.

The integrated circuits that incorporate buried zeners presumably use laser trimming or on-chip zapping to sort this out on a chip-by-chip basis (which isn't cheap),

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Buy your driver's license,Passport, Visa, EITLS exams, Fake bank notes whatsapp: +1(541)782-8482

we supply perfectly reproduced counterfeit money with holograms and all security features available. Indistinguishable to the eye and to touch.contact today whatsapp : +1(541)782-8482 Email: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Why would you buy from us? Our banknotes contain the following security features that make it to be genius and we have the best grade counterfeit in the world both Euro and Dollar and any bills of your choice you want. Security features of our bank notes are AAA grade with the following quality : Intaglio printing Watermarks Security thread See-through register Special foil/special foil elements Iridescent stripe / shifting colors. -Holograms and Holographic Strips -Micro-Lettering -Metallic Ink and Thread -Watermarks -IR Detection -Ultra-violet features -See through Features -Different serial numberwe offer both national and international deliveries. All of our deliveries are safe, fast and discreet. All customer delivery information is eliminated after delivery to ensure a fair deal . We supply only original high-quality BANKNOTES to all countries worldwide. We print and sell perfect Grade A BANKNOTES of over 52 currencies. Our money is perfectly reproduced with all security features available and we assure you everything is safe and indistinguishable to the human eye and touch (REAL MONEY LOOK AND FEEL). EUR - Euro USD - US Dollar GBP - British Pound AUD - Australian Dollar CAD - Canadian and many more Delivery usually takes 2-5 days

-Free shipping

-THE bills/notes bypass everything, counterfeit pens and machines.

-I have the best HOLOGRAMS AND DUPLICATING MACHINES

-UV: YES

-All security features available contact today whatsapp : whatsapp : +1(541)782-8482 Email: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

WHERE CAN I USE THESE BANKNOTE?

MC DONALD'S , SHOPS , RESTAURANTS , SUPERMARKETS , PETROL SHOPS , GAME HALL , ATM, BANKS,SHOPPING MALLS , GAME AND ATTRACTION PARKS , ELECTRONIC SHOPS , TAXI , METRO AND TRAIN STATION , USED TO PAY BUS AND ANY TRANSPORTATION Tags: counterfeit cash, counterfeiting High Quality Undetectable Counterfeit Banknotes For Sale HIGH QUALITY UNDETECTABLE COUNTERFEIT BANKNOTES FOR SALE BUY SUPER HIGH QUALITY FAKE MONEY ONLINE GBP, DOLLAR, EUROS BUY 100% UNDETECTABLE COUNTERFEIT MONEY £,$,€ BEST COUNTERFEIT MONEY ONLINE, DOLLARS, GBP, EURO NOTES AVAILABLE BUY TOP GRADE COUNTERFEIT MONEY ONLINE, DOLLARS, GBP, EURO NOTES AVAILABLE. TOP QUALITY COUNTERFEIT MONEY FOR SALE. DOLLAR, POUNDS, EUROS AND OTHER CURRENCIES AVAILABLE Counterfeit money for sale money, banknotes, fake money, prop money, EUROS,DOLLARS AND POUNDS AND NOVELTY DOCUMENTS LIKE PASSPORTS,ID CARDS,GREEN CARDS AND DRIVERS LICENSE counterfeit money for sale, buy fake money online, fake dollars, fake pounds, fake euro, buy money online, fake money for

sale. Buy Fake Dollars, Buy Fake British Pounds, Buy Fake Euro, Money, where can i buy counterfeit money?.

BUY QUALITY COUNTERFEIT MONEY WHATSAPP ME AT +1(541)782-8482 EUROS,DOLLARS AND POUNDS .AND S.S.D CHEMICALS.

Reply to
Glen Mccgee