twitter

I went to some difficulty to not show up at my graduation, where attendance was mandatory. Imagine standing around outside in June, in the New Orleans heat, in a rented black robe, listening to fatheads blather for hours without end.

Precision electronic instrumentation

So all you care about is "a dollar in an engineer's pocket"? Interesting admission. The last sentence is pure, unadulterated, snobbery.

Reply to
krw

I didn't attend mine, much to the chagrin of my wife and the three parents. Why go to an hours long diatribe, with 17K in attendance to have >1000 people stand when they announce the "engineering class of...". OTOH, my brother was forced to attend his. His graduating class was something less than 20; anyone missing would be missed. They were told the only excuse was a funeral in the family - theirs.

Reply to
krw

You know nothing about my friends and you don't seem to know much about wilderness travel.

The guys are smart enough to know that and have tried out stuff. Some are almost tech nerds, a new app comes out and they have to try it right away. Bottomline, in offroad situations they've all gone back to dedicated navigation devices. My hope is that cell phone become good enough to work well in the boonies, and maybe they will. Or maybe they are already.

Admittedly the last time I witnessed a GPS navigation app on a smart phone was about two years ago. After a while the driver cussed at himself for not having brought his real GPS. When we missed the first couple of turns we went to my "paper navigator", printed maps on letter A sheets with highlighter marks and a compass. That got us to our destination.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

As I mentioned before I do not have a Facebook page. And I do not wish to have one.

It's exaggerated these days. Just like the "self-esteem" programs you mentioned. While being a manager I was able to duck all but one of those. One I couldn't avoid because everyone went.

Sure, but my observation is that alcohol rarely gets to them. Web presence does.

Sometimes it does. Social media ... not so much.

Communication has its limits. I hate it when people constantly gaze at the smart phone while having dinner or while having a conversation.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Hypocrite! Google Groups _IS_ social media:

10 May 2014 09:24:57 -0700 (PDT) Path: backlog2.nntp.dca3.giganews.com!backlog4.nntp.dca3.giganews.com!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!c1no4194807igq.0!news-out.google.com!dz10ni35687qab.1!nntp.google.com!ih12no2231972qab.1!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 09:24:57 -0700 (PDT) In-Reply-To: Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@google.com Injection-Info: glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com; posting-host=99.103.119.133; posting-account=zlMzQAoAAAC3JImxvQ9-GQzURVtPxVw1 NNTP-Posting-Host: 99.103.119.133 References: User-Agent: G2/1.0 MIME-Version: 1.0 Message-ID: Subject:Re: twitter From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Injection-Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 16:24:57 +0000 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Bytes: 6002 Lines: 209 Xref: number.nntp.dca.giganews.com sci.electronics.design:1327263
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

So you're lying about what your friends do? If they can't find such things, they're not real bright. They may have to pay a couple of buck for them, rather than use free ones. Though, on the other hand, perhaps they're just as cheap as you are. ;-)

Again, perhaps they're just looking for a free ride.

Again...

I coworker bought the Garmin (IIRC) app for his iPod (less risk getting wet than a cell phone) for a four-week cross country motorcycle trip a couple of years ago. He said it was perfect. It was $30 (and played is music library en route, to boot), not the $400 for the equivalent Garmin.

Reply to
krw

Usenet _IS_ social media. ;-)

Reply to
krw

The point being that you didn't have the constant voice telling you that you were "special".

Yes, but *THAT* (and gaming) is the cause. The infatuation with social media is just one of the many symptoms.

Alcoholism is rare?

That's all it is.

How Democratic of you! ;-)

Then don't go out to eat with them. I don't "hate" it, rather think it's rather funny (or sometimes sad). Worse, though, are the people who sit on the commode in stall #3 and conduct business meetings on their phone.

Reply to
krw

It has become the cause and that works via peer pressure. Kids get pushed into it by class mates. "Got to have that!". Then many of them become blowhards because of it.

Among my friends and acquaintances, yes. A few (very few) are recovering addicts which are now dry since years, some for decades.

[...]

Could be more of a tag line for anti gun control though :-)

It's usually the folks at the table next to you. Not much you can do about that (unless cell jamming would be legal).

Oh yeah.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Baloney. It's a *much* older problem than social media. SM (hmm) has only been with us for a few years.

You sound like one of the narcissists you rail against, now. The world is larger than your little circle.

Constitutionality has it's limits? ;-)

Then don't spy on the people at the table next to you. Frankly, if their kids are staring at their phones, they won't be running around the restaurant. Fine by me.

Reply to
krw

[...]

I have a T-shirt "My gun permit is the 2nd amendment .. Expiration date: None". It drives some people nuts and others absolutely want to know where they can buy one.

Eventually they'll get a text that triggers them to start yapping on the phone. That does become annoying, fast. Especially when the conversation is of great intellectual depths, such as "Wassup?" ... "Not'n" ... "Cool". Then they run around the table and scream "Dude, you've got to see this!". John Wayne probably would have taken that phone and dunked it into dad's beer.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I made up a bogus business trip, with documentation, signed by people!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I wanted to buy a T-shirt that had a picture of an AR-15 on it, with the words "Is it because I'm black?" below. She wouldn't let me. ;-)

It's still better than them running around the place (and under my table). Again, if they're not bothering my meal, I don't much care what they do. Their kids are not my problem.

Reply to
krw

[...]

Well, when we spend top Dollar for a nice restaurant experience we want a nice experience and not the din and hollering of a fast food joint. Else we might as well stay home and barbecue.

It's the same on flights. On my last long distance trip there was a woman with two kids in front of me. The little girl was well behaved. The older (!) boy was blaring like a siren almost the whole 10 hours. The mother did ... nothing. A clear case of parental incompetence. That will be one problematic teenager some day.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

:)

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

A "nice" restaurant would have ejected the parents. You expect it at a McGrease.

...and you wouldn't want them glued to a game system?

Reply to
krw

[...]

Sure, but that doesn't work for a restaurant because they often play this with more than one player or have to blurt out their scores at the top of their lungs.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Excellent! Now if they'd only do something similar in case of not so well behaved kids.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to