transformer thermals

Years ago I discovered from hipot testing transformers that it was too easy for them to suddenly not withstand as much voltage any more. The 1 person manufacturing line swore nothing had been changed.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

legg wrote more absurd crap:

============================

** What utterly stupid garbage.

One fills the available space by using the heaviest gauge wire possible - not by increasing the turns - that is already set by the core cross section, voltage and frequency.

Yo have no point to make and just post bullshit for the sake of having the last word and big noting your pathetic self.

FOAD you ridiculous ass.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

If the MLT drops 20%, You get the same loss with 20% reduction in copper x-section.

Not so?

RL

Reply to
legg

It seems to me that you'd get most of those benefits buy just using a single transforer of twice the mass. I think you may be counting some of the gains twice.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

How did that work out? Did you give rought specs and the then the manufacture provided full expected specs?

Sounds reasonable.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Wow, you're finally catching up. Now go ahead and re-read my comment about the sillyness of VA in and VA out ratings on small toroidal transformers.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

How would you rate this cutie?

I didn't look at the site, but it's clearly some free energy nonsense project. Maybe the entire thing spins on a tesla turbine or overbalance wheel.

I like how it's the most complicated way to come up with a three legged tape wound core.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

** I'm way ahead of morons lie you.

** You never made any.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Pretty much. I specified the voltages, power levels, turns ratio, frequency range, and suggested a stock Hammond part as being about the right size and mounting. The Hammond part guided me as to what was reasonable; I didn't have to do any real magnetics calculations, just scale that transformer a little. They responded with a more detailed spec with resistances, inductances, wire colors, things like that. That looked good so I told them to go.

I'd used them before, and the production requirement was real, so that was a good way to work with them.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin