Tracking of Killer Asteroids Runs Low on Money and Short on Time

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

I'd be more worried of Dec 21, 2012 The Mayan calendar ends on that date.

Lucretia MacEvil

I say if a big asteroid gets close enough...maybe it could be hijacked, put into an orbit and then used as a cue ball to collide with asteroids on a earth impact course. It can be a new moon.. Call it minimoon :) D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

"NASA runs a program called the Spaceguard Survey to track the largest potentially hazardous objects, those greater than 3,300 feet in diameter that could devastate most life if they hit. That is what scientists believe happened to the dinosaurs some 65 million years ago."

I wonder what they mean when they say "most life". The asteroid 65m years ago certainly didn't kill most life.

It's large and complex organism that are most sensitive to such calamities, but fortunately those make up only a small portion (albeit the loudest one) of life on Earth.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

The asteroid that "killed off the dinosaurs" seems to have done for anything bigger than a rabbit, and somethig of that size would certainly kill off every last human being within a few years of impact. On the good side, it would put an end to global warming.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

You didn't read far enough, Win.

They're going to meet budget by ignoring those that will hit New York, Boston and Paris ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Loss of Dinosaurs: Pros: Dinos probably take up too much space, eat too much and are a safety risk.

Cons: Dinosaurs might have been a good source of food.. McDonalds's McBronto and BigT-Rex Burgers. mmmmm :)

How about this goofy theory? Maybe the dinosaurs died from global warming from farting tons of methane :P D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

That's it.... all the leftist weenies farting is causing global warming/cooling... take your choice ;-)

...Jim Thompson

There's supposed to be an asteroid that will likely pass inside the orbit of communications satellites in 2029 and again 7 years later possibly land in the Pacific about 30 miles off Malibu.

Unfortunately the announcement coincided with the death of Anna Nicole and the media missed it . . .

Newsgroups
default

More likely old farts like you.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Or developed faith in god and ignored the global climate changes.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Jim's understanding of asteroid detection and tracking is about on par with the sophisitcation of his views on global warming.

For the benefit of the other republicans on this user-group, you have to find the earth-crossing asteroids before you can track them and work out which bit of the earth they are going to hit - tracking them precisely enough to work out whether they are going to hit the earth at all already requires collecting quite a few observations of the same asteroid, and working out where they might hit needs quite a few more.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

All of the major prophesies have forecasted the end of the world as we know it, right about now.

To those who aren't entirely blinded by their dogma, it's pretty obvious that Revelations is taking place right before our very eyes.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer

Sorry, you're too late. The family next door (devout Christians) disappeared about 6 years ago. Some thought that they just skipped out on their mortgage, but I think it was the Rapture.

Everyone left here now has been judged to be a sinner and will burn in hell for eternity. So, we might was well party like we deserve it. ;-)

2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I think I saw somewhere that black holes come in various sizes. Some of which are flying through space and are undetectable until something gets swallowed. Maybe the earth might get hit by a black hole. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Save the earth...save the earth!! It would be unexpected if an asteroid hit the moon and that causes a huge problem.. :P Orbit change? Tides...? Busted moon? D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

The sky is falling, I tell you. The sky is falling ;-)

If the libs can't sell climate change they'll sell some other kind of fear.

...Jim Thompson

Chicken Little only has to be right once.

Newsgroups
default

Kinda like the way the neocons see a terrorist under every bed? ;-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

What about the middle east?