Thunderbird Runs Slowly

It started as Advantis, a join venture between IBM and Sears. IBM bought out Sears and turned it into IBM Global Network. When they sold out to AT&T, it became ATTBI (AT&T Business Internet). It subsequently morphed though several other names and mergers, eventually settling down to att.net and att.biz. I was a very satisfied Advantis subscriber and later a very dissatisfied AT&T subscriber.

At his time Yahoo is handling AT&T DSL and U-verse customers email including att.net and a mess of predecessors, such as ameritech.net, bellsouth.net, flash.net, nvbell.net, pacbell.net, prodigy.net, sbcglobal.net, snet.net, swbell.net, and wans.net. To the best of my limited knowledge, the system is not homogenous, with these domains scattered evenly among the various Yahoo servers and locations. It seems to be distributed by vendor serviced and geographic location with local DNS server selection via Anycast: My comments about variable performance is based on personal and customer experience, and my guess(tm) that things work somewhat differently for the different Yahoo managed AT&T domains.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Not sur eI'm disagreeing, perhaps clarifying, but it went directly from ibm.net to att.biz (att.net is AT&T's DSL network, run by Yahoo, or something and an entirely different network). No stops inbetween. I've been a customer since '95ish (waiting for then for them to cancel my email). It was always adequate but expensive, after high-speed Internet became pervasive. It was too painful to change email addresses, though, so I kept the accounts.

Reply to
krw

That's correct. New customers get the newly named domains. Existing customers get to keep their old email addresses with the old domains. The only exception was when I had to switch from an advantis.com email address to something else (I forgot what it was). I still have addresses on pacbell.net and sbcglobal.net, both of which are part of AT&T, with email serviced by Yahoo.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I do *not* get to keep my att.biz email accounts. Since I'm being forced to change email addresses, there's no point in staying with them. There are far cheaper email services out there.

I changed from ibm.net to att.biz but there is no point in continuing with them. I went to Crazy Domains for email. It's a little complicated to set up but it works really well (and they have some really good domains available ;-).

Reply to
krw

I switched from Eudora to Thunderbird a couple of months ago. I needed to use a seperate tool to convert my mailboxes though. My primary reason to switch was because Eudora was less and less capable of dealing with modern HTML e-mails and would even crash on some e-mails.

So far I'm not unhappy with Thunderbird.

Reply to
N. Coesel

att.biz is probably what I am thinking of.

When I started out with Worldnet, my email address was snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net . After a while, they made the announcement that I could use just snipped-for-privacy@att.net , and hinted that eventually the @worldnet.att.net address would quit working. It never has, though... mail to either one shows up in the same mailbox.

FWIW, I see two major failures when getting mail from Yahoo! via POP. The first is that maybe 1 time in 100, the selected POP server never picks up the phone; immediately retrying until I get a different server works. The second is that the POP server picks up the phone, accepts my username and password, and then times out when it tries to contact another server to authenticate me. This used to happen about 1 time in

30, but has become much more rare in the past few months. When the authentication server is failing, immediately retrying just gives me the same error; waiting 5 to 15 minutes is usually enough to get it to work.

Outgoing mail, via SMTP, seems to Just Work(tm).

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

I haven't seen it crash. On my current machine with an HD display there is something a bit odd with the font size in many programs. Eudora displays pretty small text sometimes. It has a few issues, one of which is going into a sort of hang mode when clicking to open attachments IIRC. A windows dialog comes up saying I need to do something to let a process run and there is nothing I can do. Eudora is bascially hung until this is fixed and it is unfixable without major digging so I just wipe it and restart. One or two little things otherwise. I'm amazed that it remains such a usable tool after use on Win95 until now. A nice, small footprint as well. Almost as minimal as running Forth.

--

Rick
Reply to

Your permission level isn't high enough for that app. You mody likely have a UAI dialog hanging behind the app so you don't see it, waiting for you to allow it to do what ever it wants to do.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook