Through-hole assembly movie clip

Fiorina was the prime mover in that respect.

There was a plausible sales-channel-based argument for it, but I must admit that this engineer never really understood it.

Sometimes we get better than we deserve.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

It all started to unravel when Dave Packard passed away, the board of "directors" no longer had the restraint to do what was good for the company, including employees. Fiorina was mandated to destroy the HP Way, it wasn't really her idea. Not sure if she ever had an idea...

Reply to
Bill Martin

Yep. I have little doubt as well if Steve Jobs had passed away in the

1990s rather than taking a sabbatical at NeXT, Apple would've been a technological footnote by now, and the subject of jokes around campus like the ones that were popular in the tech community at mine back then.

"Oh, I see you got a nice new G3 there. Guess you'll have to build your own spares for it once Apple goes out of business next year..."

Reply to
bitrex

Yes. They went after commodity markets, totally contrary to their history and everything they were actually good at.

I worked for HP from 1984-1990, in the Australian Software Operation. We were the only software-only operation that HP had ever had that was *profitable*. We were the only one that had figured out how to make the sales folk give us due credit (%age) when they made a sale, because until then, software was something thrown in free, and the software operations were run as cost centres (to the complaints of the rest of the company at the "excessive cost"). I mean, the hardware was nice, but most software by then was available on a dozen vendor's Unix systems - they might as well have been selling cigarettes, the hardware was commoditised. We had been begging them to allow us to sell our products (tools for developing applications and databases) on other vendor's hardware - it was very desirable and profitable for our market, and cross-vendor support would have made it much more so.

So what did HP do in 1990? Shut down all the commercial software tools operations worldwide. Great thinking, 99. Keep the commodity, ditch the value-add products. So we bought the IP to my designs (I had been working on a new product design for nearly 3 years at that time) and formed a new company - which was profitable for eight years (including the very first year, for 8 months of which we didn't even have a product) and grew to 120 staff and six offices worldwide.

It was clear in 1990 that HP was headed for a massive decline, the senior decision-making was totally screwy.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

--
So, instead of sharing the profits of what you've managed to
accomplish with the human workforce which helped to put you in the

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Don't forget Rick Belluzzo's decision in the mid 90s to run down HPUX in favour of the obviously superior Windows. At that point HP was making large hardware sales to telcos (and elsewhere), based on HPUX and ACCESSS7 software.

No prizes for guessing where Belluzzo is working now.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Easily seen at 1/4 speed:

At 6:12 there's a one-frame subliminal of a Nazi flag, followed by the debut of a naked woman. The woman reappears for two frames @ 6:17.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I'd suspect Multibus.

Reply to
whit3rd

I'm with you so far.

What my boss makes is of no relevance. Either one makes what one is worth, or one doesn't. If not, leave. It really is that simple.

Their designers will. Not an issue.

Reply to
krw

And custom packaging.

Reply to
krw

What did it say when you played it backwards? ;-)

Reply to
krw

Seriously? I only had time to watch dips at normal speed..

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I'd agree. There's a bunch of SIP resistors at the bottom. It's got a huge bus. It's also way too dense for an arcade board. Not enough analog stuff to be a card from a PBX either. Might be a disk or I/O card. It has more connectors at the top of the board. Just a guess.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Looks a bit like one of the PDP 11 variants.

Regards, Allan

Reply to
Allan Herriman

Yep.

I didn't watch the whole thing. But I slowed it down to try and figure out if that newscaster was a young Robert McNeil, trying gauge the era, and was greeted with the flag and little Miss Muffett.

I lived some of those places. Ironically, the times depicted as frenetic were positively serene compared to those same places today. Those Southern California scenes must be from the late 70's or early 80's, I'd guess.

Oh, I think that's Jerry Brown @ 6:15, governor from 1975-1983, so maybe that's an indication. Ted Koppel, right after that.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Those methods are much older:

They also had the JIT concept down to a science:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

In the UK there was also a sorting office on such trains, so the letters were sorted when the train arrived at the destination.

But that was when people would write a letter to their wives (never SOs :) ) saying "I'm having a good lunch and expect to be home at 6pm tonight"

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Same in the US: