thinking at Stanford (2023 Update)

John Larkin makes the same claim.

Nothing that has attracted your attention. My current mirror variation on the Baxandall class-D oscillator is definitely original - it's less efficient than the original Baxandall circuit but has a much lower harmonic content in the sine wave output. And it certainly worked in the GaAs single crystal puller I designed it for.

Anthony William Sloman

Even worse, for every simple problem there are many complex solutions.

An engineer could implement a 1 KHz control loop in a cheap FPGA:

  1. Do it the easy way and be done
  2. Spin up a 400 MHz PLL, push the FPGA to its limit, cross some clock boundaries in a clever way, use DDR output flops, and amuse himself.

Seriously.

There is a thriving new profession, Climate Grief Counselor.

Or do it the right way, with an LM358. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

So, warmer ocean to the west causes higher humidity during winter than previously seen? Or, did you just never pay attention to the roofs?

Probably the first; news reports say statewide snowpack in California is abnormally high right now.

Reply to
whit3rd

The Sierra snowpack changes radically from year to year. It's been measured the same way in the same place since 1879 and there is no longterm trend.

I just paid $130 to have our deck cleared at the cabin. I'm contracting to have it done after every big storm, so it doesn't pack into solid ice or break windows or something.

Sugar Bowl has had 155" so far, and the winter is just getting started.

On a sunny day (Fri, 16 Dec 2022 07:43:15 -0800) it happened John Larkin snipped-for-privacy@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Indeed, I'd go for a 4046 in that case... Done it many times

People have no clue, in the old days, we did nano second locked loops for TV sync and color subcarier country wide (from reporting location), Wow and TV was real time, now you often get a pause before a reply in remote interviews as the digital processing takes seconds, maybe even goes up 40,000 kmand then down 40,000 km to a geostationary sat too.

I woke up early and the thinking started, about US and like who's fault it all is, and of course you know its Andreas fault, and supperman will come to help but supperman was invited to our cryptonight and found out he could no longer fly and said: "What the Hack is going on?"

As to Andreas, I have this theory that the earthquakes happen more when the earth wobble reverses direction (so around December and July...) It all about resonances, if we all tap the table at the right speed in those periods we can test suppperman.

This all for Martin ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 16 Dec 2022 08:28:50 -0800) it happened John Larkin snipped-for-privacy@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It was -6 C here a few days ago. But I have seen -40 C once in the eighties.

Many mistake weather for climate change it seems.

Well people were skating again!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

ML is nothing but papers all the way down. Nobody who uses it has a clue if it works much less how.

Reply to
Les Cargill

<snip>

We'll see. I'm still a devotee of John Searle, and he's quite skeptical.

The main thing tech has given us, along with galloping advances in machining precision, is the ECM and its analog in air and rail. We can do logistics with half the fuel inputs now if we really want to.

Reply to
Les Cargill

Education. Renowned for the dumbest cadre on campus. Though nowadays criminology takes the prize - popular with the big $$ sportsmen -

PS Quarterbacks are now free agents, jumping from school to school - COLLEGE athletic teams!

Reply to
RichD

John Larkin takes pride in not feeling fear. It's probably a brain defect, but he might just be foolhardy.

Kipling wrote

"If you can keep your head while all around you are losing theirs and blaming it on you"

Later authors added "you probably don't know what is going on" which does seem to fit our John.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

In the UK it is Archaeology & Anthropology for the brighter ones and Land Economy (how not to lose daddy's fortune) for the thicker ones.

Surprising amounts of money on top university sports events.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Er.. not really... :-)

Very, very common misconception.

Maxwell 's Equations predict an "ether" velocity, as any standard derivation shows, such as:

The MMX experiment was constructed to detect such a variation.

Einstein's motivation to take the SOL as a postulate was because *if* MEs were directly correct, then they implied that the Newtonian Principle of Relativity (POR) was false.

However, experimentally EM effects appeared independent of inertial motion, thus the failure of the POR was a problem

The resolution to the apparent failure of the POR in MEs, was to use the Lorentz Transformation.

The LT applied to MEs *then* "predicts" an invariant SOL.

Einstein was trying to save the POR. Saving the POR is what led to the SOL postulate because he took MEs as correct.

An anthropic argument can be made as to why the SOL must be measured as an invariant.

Consider all the constants in physics.

Pretty much all of them involve c, via the fine structure constant.

The physical properties of atoms thus contain c.

The laws of physics, based on those constants, are such that atoms can do things such as bond with other atoms. If any of the constants changed with motion, these properties may well result in the atoms dismantling themselves. Thus, the laws of physics must remain the same, thus c shouldn't change with velocity changes.

Seems pretty obvious after the fact.

Kevin Aylward

- General Relativity
SuperSpice Simulation
- Electronics

Reply to
invalid unparseable

The only annoying quirk I have found is that for some shapes of contour plot the left axis title is half hanging off the edge of the plot area. I'm down to final publication tweaks. There is also more white space than I would like at one top edge but that is only a minor irritation.

Using Latex is required now by several major publications. They provide the template and it automatically becomes in house style. I still haven't been able to fully master bibtex yet which is a PITA.

I have just about learnt enough of the structure to manually edit EPS files to fine tune the appearance and make minor changes to labels.

Publication doesn't like 1e-10 notation so it has to be 10^{-10}

Reduce was the first one I came across that could actually do things that were seriously not obvious and would ask where to put a branch cut when given an awkward integral to solve. Maxima can be awesome!

It sat on top of a Lisp runtime (no small thing itself) and required insane amounts of mainframe resources to use it (all 4MB at once!!).

Thanks for that. I'd not heard of KLEE - although I was always a fan of McCabe's complexity metric which counts and if you are lucky generates a minimum number of test cases to ensure every path of code is explored.

Sometimes it is just chance but more often than not patterns I see are real and some of them are even useful.

One problem with machine learning and neural networks is that you can't sensibly ask it why it comes to a particular conclusion?

Also designer images can be created that get insane answers from "smart" image recognition systems. Obvious enough to a human but with enough subtle correlations that the machine sees something else entirely.

That's 5 years old and they have improved a bit since then.

Reply to
Martin Brown

On 2022-12-19 15:48, Martin Brown wrote: [Snip!...]

In my experience, 10^{-10} gets mangled in abstracts, whereas 1e-10 obviously does not. My personal preference is 100p.

I once wrote Boltzmann's constant as 13.8 yW/Hz and it got edited into 1.38^{-23} J/K, which is correct, although not very handy in the context of electronic noise. The times after they left it alone.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

On 2022-12-19 16:23, Jeroen Belleman wrote: [...]

Erm, 1.38⋅10^{-23} J/K, obviously. But you understood that of course. :-\

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

The neural net AI community is well aware of this problem. When they fail, they fail spectacularly, and no can explain.

Which means use in safety critical applications is a long way off. But you wouldn't know that from the hype - "thinking machines are just over the horizon!"

And there are plenty of Pentagon Santa Clauses willing to abide, which is the important thing -

Still, there are areas where they outperform humans - hello, Jeopardy champion - so stick to those, and it's a net gain.

Reply to
RichD

No thinking required, comrade, the Thought Police will do the thinking for you -

RichD

Your website/blog is very informative!

*ck-online/

Mega WeedMarket