Tesla's Egg of Columbus

I suppose you electrical whiz kids know about this but it was news to me like a of things are. I think it was on the show Mysteries at the Museum.

Dean Hoffman

I tried reading and my blindness is now complete.

Reply to
Rick C

Fun.

Of course the way you win that bar bet is to sprinkle a bit of salt on the table. Then you can stand an egg up easily.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

One should never get in a bet at a bar or county fair unless you know the trick. I never did bet any money,but did buy the person a beer just to see how he was going to do the 'trick' a time or two.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Phil Hobbs snipped-for-privacy@electrooptical.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@electrooptical.net:

Good bar bet. Catch a fly and toss it into a glass of water and hold it down with a napkin or such. Drown it.

Take the dead fly and place it on the bar and bet that you can revive it. Two hours pass and folks are pretty sure that the fly is dead and start betting against you.

To win, one simply pours a pile of salt on the fly, and it sucks the moisture out of it and it must hurt like hell, because the fly will get up and fly away.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I remember reading a piece of folksy advice, some years ago - I forget the author. It was along the following lines.

"Son, let me tell you. Someday, when you're sitting in a bar somewhere, a stranger will offer to make a bet with you. He'll bet you that you can take a brand-new deck of cards, shuffle them however you want, put them on the table, and let him cut the deck once... and then the Queen of Hearts will leap out of the deck and squirt cider into your left ear.

Do not, under any circumstances, take that bet.

Because, son, if you do take that bet, you're going to end up with an ear full of cider."

Reply to
Dave Platt

It's from Damon Runyon's "The Idyll of Miss Sarah Brown", which was the basis for "Guys and Dolls". Sky Masterson's dad's advice when Sky set out on his own.

"Son, no matter how far you travel, or how smart you get, always remember this: Someday, somewhere, a guy is going to show you a nice brand-new deck of cards on which the seal is never broken, and this guy is going to offer to bet you that the jack of spades will jump out of this deck and squirt cider in your ear. But, son, do not bet him, for as sure as you do you are going to get an ear full of cider."

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Blech. I try to stay out of those sorts of bars. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Take a long hair off a girl's chair. Stun a fly by hitting it in the air (or your method) and tie a leash around its neck.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso