terminating rubadue wire in flyback xfmr

I am trying to design a flyback transformer. The feedback winding will be 15v and there will also be a 5v winding as well. There will also be a tertiary winding to supply 15v to the customer and to power a 12v fan on the larger units.

European standards like VDE and IEC and CE and on and on and on tend to complicate the designs so that I would like to use flying leads of triple insulated wire for the customer winding. Is it possible to use an insulation displacement type of a connector on the triple insulated Rubadue or Furukawa TEX-E types of wire?

thanks, Bob

Reply to
Yzordderrex

Yes. The thin PTFE layers displace relatively easily. Paul Mathews

Reply to
Paul Mathews

Thanks Paul!

Reply to
Yzordderrex

No. IDC termination requires a PVC covering. Anything else will be unreliable.

What size conductor btw ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

It's not PTFE. Using an unapproved cable with IDC is likely to lead to long term problems.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I assumed that you were referring to Rubadue or similar 'triple-insulated wire'. This wire has 3 layers of thin insulation compounded from Teflon, Tefzel, or other material similar to PTFE. (I have no idea why Graham insists on contradicting me.) Here are 2 requirements for successfull IDC termination:

1) Insulation must displace or 'cold flow' 2) Contact spring-form must maintain pressure on wire so that connection is 'gas tight'. Obviously, requirement #2 implies that the wire and the contact be 'compatible', i.e., the contact must be engineered to fit the wire. Owing to the bulk of the resulting termination, I've gone away from IDC termination on my miniature transformer designs in favor of solder. TIW strips easily using the appropriate heat settings on a thermal stripper. Paul Mathews
Reply to
Paul Mathews

Did you check with your connector vendor first though ? ;-)

IDC termination can be very touchy. One company I was with had a problem once with unreliability that simply stemmed from using the flat cable when it wasn't warm enough.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

no. IDC requires suitable Cu OD and insulation thickness, thats all.

I've done it with Furukawa TEX-E, but only a few hundred thousand times in a high-reliability industrial product :)

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

oh yes. connectors are indeed tricky things.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given