Temperature sensor LM35 and long leads

The sensor data sheet

says it's got a worst-case quiescent current of 161 mA - at 12V, that's only about 2 mW. The 2.2k is just for output isolation, and the current through it should be negligible.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I sure hope you (they) meant 161uA ....

Reply to
budgie

Thanks, Gary.

Unfortunately the LM50 only comes in a surface-mount package which isn't suitable for my application. I see from the datasheet that it has a 2K output impedance, so I guess they solved the LM35's capacitance load problem by increasing the output impedance.

Reply to
Pandora

I'll keep the supply voltage low and use a decoupling capacitor across the power supply at the LM35 end.

The LM35 datasheet has two solutions for the capacitance load problem. A 2K series resistor or a R-C (75 ohm, 1uF) damper circuit. Having done a bit more searching on the web it seems that (anecdotally) the damper circuit has proved effective, so I wonder if I should go for that?

Unfortunately, I haven't got the resources to test which method is best.

Reply to
Pandora

Oops...thanks John....sorry for misleading. I guess I better look at the data sheet more carefully. Yes,the LM35 looks much better than the LM335 in regard to self-heating.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Kavanagh

Sounds like they put the resistor inside!

John

What's the performance difference between the two solutions? Anybody know?

Reply to
martinpalmer8

Any idea which Nat Semi circuit is best to mitigate this capacitance? A

2K series resistance or a 75ohm/1uF damper circuit? I don't understand the difference between the two.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Pandora

Any idea which Nat Semi circuit is best to mitigate this capacitance? A

2K series resistance or a 75ohm/1uF damper circuit? I don't understand the difference between the two.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Pandora

Perhaps the damper circuit is used if the designer wants to keep his output impedance low. Not sure if this is more robust than the 2K resistor though!

Reply to
AlanSlough1970

Both try to keep the load "real" (ie resistive) at high frequencies, as opposed to reactive. The 2K sure looks smaller and cheaper.

John

I've just been looking for more information about this exact question, so this is a timely thread: I'm trying to use LM35 sensors with an AD626 instrumentation amp. The circuit is working fine when I just hook the the sensors directly to the amp, but if I add the 2K resistor to allow me to use longer leads, things get weird. Upon more detailed reading of the data sheet for the amp

), I noticed that it requires a low-impedance input (

Reply to
mooseo

Ah, that makes things much easier to deal with!

An additional question: Is there any need to use precision parts for this damper? Will temperature drift of the RC network affect the signal?

Thanks very much for the help.

mike

Reply to
mooseo

Nope, it's not at all critical.

John

John, are you sure? Figure 4 of the Nat Semi data sheet shows the damper circuit at the sensor end.

You may well be right. May I ask if your answer based on theory or practical experience?

Reply to
Pandora

Yup.

Instinct. Why would the end matter?

John

Because the resistor is to isolate the sensor output from the line capacitance?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

The network in question here is the R-C shunt damper, not the series

2K. In this case, the LM35 sees the full cable capacitance, and the damper forces the net impedance to be real in the frequency range over which the ic might oscillate.

If the line is any sensible length, the entire length is equipotential, and the same capacitance, and the same damping impedance, appears anywhere along the cable that you choose to observe it.

Dang, you guys are forcing me to think about this, which is entirely unnecessary for a situation this simple.

John

OK, think that I understand now...

Thanks for your time and trouble, John

Reply to