Temp Sensor w/ low Thermal Time Constant?

I prefer to think of it as Mister Irascible.

Robert Baer makes a habit of posting ill-informed comments, and doesn't seem to realise quite how ill-informed they are.

It's high time someone told him explicitly that he's making a fool of himself, and that he should get his posts checked by somebody who has few marbles left before he risks shredding what little's left of his reputation.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Depends on the thermal impedance/conductivity between the sensor and the sensed material (electrical analog is resistance) the specific heat of the two materials (inductance) and the mass of the two materials (capacitance).

If the two materials have an irregular shape that extends from the contact interface area, it can become messy, as neither material's temperature will be uniform at a distance from the actual contact point of measurement.

The thermal time constant within the sensed material can even become the dominant factor.

RL

Reply to
legg

I don't know the temperature range or accuracy you're looking for. But hey, let me throw in the infra-red sensor.

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

Right, but I've had quite good luck with running the AD590 in an environmental monitoring system. I have a few runs that are around 100 feet. The fact that they are current sources makes a lot of the task simpler.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Really? Do you say that the info I gave WRT use of a transistor for appx

10mSec temperature sensing (of a source) is WRONG? The LM34 and LM35 are only sensors; the further away they are (ie: the die), the longer the TC. And use of a dual transistor for a similar, slower scheme is also wrong? Or is it that you THINK the time constants i mention are totally wrong?

Confession time!

Reply to
Robert Baer

No. Just a waste of bandwidth.

g?

Not so much right or wrong - merely indistinguishable.

It's just that your dual transistor scheme was refined - some years ago - i nto the semiconductor temperatures sensors we can now buy.

?

If the sensing is going on in a lump of silicon inside the normal sorts of packages in which semiconductors are sold, how you turn the semiconductor p hysics into a measurable proxy for temperature doesn't make a blind bit of difference to the time constant.

I know you aren't up to much but you do seem to be thrashing around in more than usually complete confusion.

More precisely, confusion time for you.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to