Syllabus for an Electronics Lab

Hi,

I recently started my teaching career as a Lab Engineer in my own university and I wanted some help concerning the syllabus of an Analog Electronics Lab. While I was a student, the lab consisted of simply the companion manual of Boylestad which btw was very dull and boring. I want to replace it. In other words I want to design my own manual and design it from scratch.

By the time the lab commences, the students would be aware of KVL, KCL, Thevenin and Norton, a little bit of op-amps and some other basic circuit analysis stuff. They would also have done digital logic design and would know how to use an oscilloscope and all that. They would NOT know of:

  1. Diodes
  2. BJTs
  3. FETs
  4. Transducers etc.

Although I dont, as of yet, have a complete idea of what the lab should look like. But I would love to include desgin problems which produce some tangible product in the end. I want to give the students a very strong base for their future lives and would appreciate any help in this regard.

Reply to
shehry

Homer J Simpson

Get there hands really dirty and teach em heaps about design. mick

Reply to
Michael

That is precisely what I want to do. But since I myself am just starting teaching, I am having some difficulty (the course instructor wont be much help either :( )

I want to know as to WHAT should I teach them about design. What kind of design problems do I give. How do I make the lab more interesting. I dont want them to just draw some circuits and find the amplification and all that. I want them to be able to design some small interesting product as well. I dont want them to simply cram the advantages of one bias configuration over another. I want them to be able to apply the knowledge in a real world scenario.

These are the topics that I will have to cover: Diodes, Transistors, BJT, MOSFETS, JFETS, Small Signal Analysis and Large Signal Analysis.

I would lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeee any sort of help

Reply to
shehry

I've never actually looked at it, but I suspect the student lab companion to Horowitz & Hill's Art of Electronics might be a good place to get some ideas.

Also, I've always thought it would be fun to build the bad circuit designs from the text (and fix them of course). You could devote a whole class to things that smoke :-)

-- Joe Legris

Reply to
J.A. Legris

Actually, it would probably work well. Although designed to go with our book, it stands quite well on its own. I would say the lab topics covered do help provide the students a "strong base for their future lives," one of shehry's goals. Moreover, it's entertainingly written and illustrated.

BUT, rather than concentrate on basic EE topics like Small Signal Analysis and Large Signal Analysis, it concentrates on working with and understanding some core circuits. In that sense, it has covers practical, rather than theoretical, labs. However, a good teacher always supplements with his own favorite material.

Indeed!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Ach! Kids these days!

First, find out what they know now.

You _do_ know your subject, don't you? So get some books and go through them, and write a little quiz, that's actually more like a survey. Decide what kind of hardware you'll need - should there be one proto-board per kid, or one per study group of three of five or whatever?

Do you remember how your teachers approached the subject when you were a kid?

Shouldn't you already know this stuff, if you've got a teaching cert?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich, but drunk

If one of us talked you into convincing the admins to make it a mandatory textbook, I wonder if we'd get a kickback from Win? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich, but drunk

Well gee, there are about 2 to 5 labs to be done by comparing the advantages and disadvantages of various bias circuits. Both large signal and small signal.

Be sure to do one on differential pairs and Gilbert Cells.

Later on, small FPGAs. Say, 22v10 class.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller