Surprised by power supply design

I ordered a 13.8 volt, 4 amp power supply (battery eliminator) from one of the "tier 2" manufacturers of such stuff. (BK Precision)

Anyway, I received this thing, it works fine and meets all specs, but I was shocked to find out that this is a linear power supply! Stranger yet, it is completely discrete, not an IC in it.

I had kind of suspected that at the $40 price point I would get something a bit less, uh, heavy. but it has a genuine 50/60 Hz transformer in it.

Isn't this a bit odd in 2004? I expected a switcher, or perhaps a linear with a 1 package regulation solution.

Any opinions?

Reply to
BFoelsch

Agreed.

Agreed, although in the case of a battery eliminator for automotive gear the point may be somewhat academic. I suspect just about any supply is quieter than the automotive 12 volt system.

I had always figured that eliminating the cost of a mains frequency transformer was one of them.

Well, what can I say. I certainly fell for THAT one!!

Thanks for your input!

Reply to
BFoelsch

I read in sci.electronics.design that BFoelsch wrote (in ) about 'Surprised by power supply design', on Tue, 28 Dec 2004:

  1. Switching power supplies are more difficult to design than linears;

  1. Linear supplies are EMC-benign (no h.f. noise if there are caps across the rectifier diodes), except for conducted mains harmonics, and of them they emit less than switchers;

  2. If the extra mass of the linear is not an issue, the switcher has few advantages.

  1. Being heavy, a linear really FEELS like a bargain for . (;-)

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that BFoelsch wrote (in ) about 'Surprised by power supply design', on Tue, 28 Dec 2004:

Nevertheless, if you want to sell it in Europe, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Japan.... it has to meet EMC requirements.

Yes, one of the few. The other one is higher efficiency.

You are welcome.

John Woodgate

Hi BFoelsch,

It all comes down to where it was designed and where it was produced. The design costs are 'non-recurring expenditures' (NRE) and must be amortized over the years of production, per unit. So if they don't have the expertise for a switcher design in house and they would have to use outside services they might have figured the NRE would be too high. EMI testing also factors into the NRE number and is expensive. These kinds of supplies aren't exactly large volume products since they are mostly bought by companies and hobbyists, not the consumer. Which means NRE weighs much heavier than for, say, an MP3 player.

Production costs depend on what's there locally. In the US a custom transformer or even an off-the-shelf one would be pricey. That can be different in other countries where labor is cheaper. Also, if the device uses a transformer that was meant for automotive battery charging it would be very cheap because such chargers are a true consumer mass product. Mine was $29.95, with a heavy transformer in there and lots of big accessory cables. Take away these cables and apply their cost towards an electrolytic cap plus a linear regulator, and bingo.

Switcher aren't always the optimum solution. Most PWM chips are in the $1 range and even I have mostly resorted to discrete designs for switchers and converters. Simply because it ended up to be cheaper. Most mundane logic chips cost under 10c and transistors are also just pennies. Just imagine, a product that retails for $40 and must be transported in from Asia has to be produced under $10. Else it won't likely make a profit.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Switching transformers are generally more expensive.

Reply to
me

of

was

is

something a

Interesting point. When I get a chance I will pull the cover off again and look at some date codes.

Thanks again.

Reply to
BFoelsch

That thing, or its major subassemblies, may have been manufactured back in 1990.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs