Surge protector is a lie?

If a tree falls during a storm on open wire copper lines, the flimsy wires will snap and the poles are saved. This of course cuts the electric distribution.

If a tree falls on a bundled cable (especially with a steel wire neutral), it is possible that the pole falls down, but the electric distribution may still continue, despite part of the cable has fallen to the ground.

Reply to
upsidedown

A tree fell, down the block from our cabin. It sent a shock wave down the lines which tugged on our long feeder and ripped the wires off the front of the cabin, with the power and cable and old POTS wires on the ground. We didn't lose power or internet.

So instead of the water analogy, they use an analogy of.... weightlifting?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

maybe a drive chain.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

if you have ever seen a good close up electrostatic discharge the idea of a stretched cable snapping is not far off

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Apparently I have to inform the power company when I install an EV charger. Like I'm gonna bother doing that.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You're lucky that didn't cause a short with the stupidly unfused incoming setting fire to the wood.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Oh, if you don't inform the power company before changing your power usage appreciably, they cannot ensure your (shared with neighbors) local wiring doesn't melt. Liability for damage, or replacing melted wiring (or boiled transformer oil fire damage, or...) would be determined by legal negotiations after such an event.

Even if the wiring AFTER the meter (clearly your part of the responsibility) doesn't fail, the part BEFORE the meter... just might.

Reply to
whit3rd

In the US a house will have a service drop to your house rated fo so much current. It used to be common for 100 or 200 amp service drops. Over the years the power usage of homes have gone up with electric dryers and heat pumps an on demand water heaters.

It would not mater what you use to pull that amount from the power company. If you wanted more the power company would have to install larger wire and maybe a transformer going to your house.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery